Sign in to follow this  
marmite monster

16v dies when cold :(

got a 2ltr 16v that keeps wont hold any revs when its cold.if you dont hold your foot on the pedal and keep the revs up it dies .

ive checked for vacum leaks and the isv is working.

after 2mins of it warming up it works fine and idles as it should. any ideas?

I found the easiest way to check the cold start injector was to unbolt it (2 Allen screws) when the car is cold and get someone to crank it over while pointing the invector into a glass jar. It should spray petrol in a cone into the jar while cranking. Stop cranking, wipe the injector dry and wait a couple of minutes too see if the injector leaks petrol. If it does basically it's foobarred but this would not be your current prob;em as leaking would not affect the cold running. More likely to result in lousy MPG. Two birds with one stone. Replace the valve, start the car and run it up to temp. (over 30 degrees C is the cut off figure I think) then quickly remove the injector again and try cranking the motor again. There should be no petrol ejected. Cold start system checked by undoing 2 screws twice. Not being electrically minded I find this easier to do than checking resistances and things with amps amd volts and multimeters.