Sign in to follow this  
ZeroK66

Car popping like mad... more than ever before.

Hello all,

Noticed the last couple days the car seems to be popping a hell of a lot when I decelerate. As great as it is the first few mins, I am now starting to get concerned.

I am running G60 management just by the way... hence asking here :)

popping = over fuelling... :?

The extra fuel blows out through the exhaust and hits the hot manifold/ cat / exhaust and ignites = flames and pop... :wink:

It may also be a sign of a dead lambda sensor, as these help the G60 management control the fuelling... :|

IMHO it'd be worth putting an Air/fuel meter on it and seeing what's going on throughout the rev range, and possibly getting a custom rolling road setup done on the chip...

It's what mine's getting once it's bedded in, and I've not done anything as fundamental as a 20Vt...

and just to note, hearing popping doesnt actually mean you have flames belching from the zorst.

cheers

Good point.... 8)

mate check your timing, retarted or advanced timing sometimes causes this, otherwise you will destroy your exhaust due time

Mmmm, well, I am thinking Lambda... dont suppose the G60 lambda is designed to sit virtually next to a glowing Turbo... so perhaps this has gone.

I have replaced the cold start sensor and the car is running far better (I knew this was shot) but made no diff to the popping. Noticed though since the sensor was changed black smoke quite often when in traffic and running against compression when backing off - all linked though to the popping it would seem, so doubt it is the sensor. Sounds like it may well be the lambda. Any other thoughts welcome

Oh, how the hell do I test the lamba sensor?

Oh, and regarding timing - I have NO idea how advance/retard is controled on this car... it does not use a dizzy yet uses the G60 management. Has a pickup on the crank and a little box of tricks Jabba put together to generate the pulses for the coil packs.