Sign in to follow this  
wandee

Do I need a new clutch master cylinder?

After becoming stricken with the all too familiar occurence of the clutch pedal hitting the floor and not returning I then searched the forums and went ahead with the fitment of a new slave cylinder, of which the fitment went nice & smooth.

That was where the fun ended.

I initially tried to bleed the circuit the traditional "2 people" way, pump>bleed nipple open/closed etc. Absolutely no joy, pedal still dead as a dodo.

Then I purchased an eezibleed kit and simply bled, once again, the slave. Still no further forward.

Finally I bled the master cylinder, tried the pedal and started to get some life in it. I then rebled the slave, pulled the pedal from the floor and let it settle for a moment and then pumped it. Joy of joys it seemed to come back to life fully.

Except that was only temporary. When I pressed the pedal about halfway down and held it there for a second or two the pedal gradually started to sink back to the floor, almost as if it was being sucked back in.

Does this mean the master is goosed? Or am I not using the eezibleed properly?

Which model is it? The 1.8 16v has an additional bleed valve in the clutch line mounted on the bulkhead. Follow the pipe back and you'll find it. May help, fingers crossed.

Does sound very much like the master as long as the new slave is good (not some silver painted eBay cack) and the rest of the system is fluid tight.

Most Corrado's needed a slave change at around 8-10 years old, now these cars are 15-20 the MC is well past it's best.

It's a VR. I assume the bleed line on the bulkhead is the that of the Master? If so, then yes I already bled that...

The slave I removed appeared to be the original as it was painted black. The replacement was from GSF, although it was the cheaper one as the PAG variant was not in stock and I was in a hurry.

Can't see any fluid leaks anywhere...should the pedal return to normal use after one bleed through using the Eezibleed? Once the initial air bubbles had come though the clear pipe attached to the slave there was just a constant flow of nice clean fluid.

Does sound very much like the master as long as the new slave is good (not some silver painted eBay cack) and the rest of the system is fluid tight.

Most Corrado's needed a slave change at around 8-10 years old, now these cars are 15-20 the MC is well past it's best.

AFAIK, the ebay "Tierod69" slaves have been highly recomended on here for a while. I have one at home ready to fit sometime soon so can't comment myself though.

Can anyone point me to a cheap place for a Master Cylinder? GSF don't do them and the ECP price is not what I would call cheap!