Sign in to follow this  
steveitsu

Handbrake disaster...

So I finally find enough time to start fixing up my neglected VR6, the list is long.... :(

My handbrake has pretty much been out of action for a few months, in that when it is pulled up it just keep coming and of course does not apply the handbrake...

So I take off all the plastic housing and have a look inside (keeping my Bentley Pub Repair Manual to hand), thinking it will just be a nut that needs tightening...

However, its a lot worse than that :? The metal housing welded to the main chassis, which holds the two holes for the screws attached to the handbrake, seems to have had the front screw pulled straight through the housing (leaving a dramatic torn hole, a bit like a bullet hole). Even with my limited knowledge of mechanics I know this won't be easy...

Only options I see is somehow removing and welding back a replacement housing, of which I will need to get one made :gag:

or

Attaching a quick fix to the broken hole, that would enable me to attach the screw securely...again this will involve more welding I guess...

Not sure why I am posting this here, as it is obvious this is gonna be a biggy to sort. But does anyone know what I am talking about, enough to point me in the right direction to sort this out...?? I live in Jersey, so access to people and service to help with this is a little more limited.

Cheers

Steve

I've had this too dude, and to be honest, it's not that hard to repair.

I made up a replacement steel plate, drilled a hole through and then attached this to the car with a double row of rivets front and rear.

Seems to holding strong, but I am a little careful now when pulling on the handbrake

Happened to mine too last year, luckily took it to a mate who welded it back together in two ticks. Good luck!

Cheers Guys

Slimg60, do you per chance have any measurements/plans I could pass onto a professional to make the part for me?

If not I can ask the welding dept at the college I work at....can believe I only just thought of that... :D

Thanks

I didnt have any plans, just kind of made it up to be honest :D

it was about 3-3.5" long in the end and made from a piece of steel I had laying around.

This happened to mine about 6 months ago.

I made a small metal peice that just fits between the broken pc and the floor.

If i remember correctly it was about 30mm long 15mm or so wide and 4mm thick (i just measured it up with a vernier)

I then tapped a M6 hole in that which lines up with the orignal bolt hole and cut the head off a high tensile bolt and bolted it through the broken piece.

Then "flattened" the pulled through metal and re-mounted the lever.

Was a bit of a bodge job but up to now has been fine. Maybe a re-weld is the way to go for a full fix but this was a cheap skate option.

Same thing happened to me. I have managed to reshape the damaged material with a hammer and metal chisel. I have asked a friend who works with sheet metal to sort out a plate to weld in place. It seams that the original metal was too thin or the hole for the bolt was too big.

Maybe my cars previous owner liked to do alot of handbrake turns!