Sign in to follow this  
pt_corrado

For Pg engine experts, wierd noise

Hmm,sounds suspiciously like small end tap,136mm short con-rods fitted to the g6o can do this.About 15 years ago i had a old Fiat uno turbo 1.3 that had that exact same sound,ended up putting a rod uot through the side of the engine block...,get it looked at mate.

Hmm,sounds suspiciously like small end tap,136mm short con-rods fitted to the g6o can do this.About 15 years ago i had a old Fiat uno turbo 1.3 that had that exact same sound,ended up putting a rod uot through the side of the engine block...,get it looked at mate.

is not mine.

i found the video in the youtube.

But have read that is a commom problem in th Pg engine, seems like conrod bearing right?

you say 136mm short con rods, its the original spec?

Yeah,apparently it seems quite common on PG G60 engines although i've had quite a few G60 engines i've never had this problem.

Strange also that those 136mm rods were out of the diesel engine with 20/1 C/R's,if your engine sounds like that motor on the Youtube video i reckon on dropping the sump and head removal,you don't won't what happened to my Fiat engine..

Yes they are the O/E spec con-rods fitted into the PG block.

but without messing around with the crankshaft, its better to put again 136mm rods right?

its not a good idea to put larger con rods if the crankshaft still with original spec

I don't think there are any uprated rods for g60's,i'm probably mistaken but i never use the 136mm rods anyway(turbo 16v 9A 2.0).The only thing to do is re-bush your rods and have done or grab a set of custom forged pistons with 'h' section rods,now it starts gettin expensive.

Crankshaft's got nothing to do with it mate,it's the small ends that change on the rods(22mm on g60 rods,20mm on 9A valvers,8 valve mills etc) as does the length,136mm-g60,144mm-9A.

I don't think there are any uprated rods for g60's,i'm probably mistaken but i never use the 136mm rods anyway(turbo 16v 9A 2.0).The only thing to do is re-bush your rods and have done or grab a set of custom forged pistons with 'h' section rods,now it starts gettin expensive.

Crankshaft's got nothing to do with it mate,it's the small ends that change on the rods(22mm on g60 rods,20mm on 9A valvers,8 valve mills etc) as does the length,136mm-g60,144mm-9A.

starting to talk with difficult words :lol: :lol: :lol: , my english isnt so good .

but i understand you ( almost all).

p.s- I also have one 9A engine , in a 92 corrado :wink:

never had a prob with standard bearings on a 250k PG motor,a little loose but what do you expect for 250k.and been giving abuse now and again

the vibration damper is doing some serious overtime though from that video.never seen the vibration damper move that much.

dont think thats very common at all with a engine,let alone with a PG.stick a screw driver in the flywheel inspection hole and try move the flywheel if has free-play as you try to move it horiziontal the bearings will need replacement.

never had a prob with standard bearings on a 250k PG motor,a little loose but what do you expect for 250k.and been giving abuse now and again

the vibration damper is doing some serious overtime though from that video.never seen the vibration damper move that much.

dont think thats very common at all with a engine,let alone with a PG.stick a screw driver in the flywheel inspection hole and try move the flywheel if has free-play as you try to move it horiziontal the bearings will need replacement.

the video is not from my car, but i think that mine need the bearings, as i year a noise like that at around 2k revs.

proper way is to take sump off and feel how much play you have in the rod ends and crank ends.only time i have heard something like that was when one of the guys engines lost a thrust washer causing vibration(and clutch burnt out)

proper way is to take sump off and feel how much play you have in the rod ends and crank ends.only time i have heard something like that was when one of the guys engines lost a thrust washer causing vibration(and clutch burnt out)

in my case, the noise only apeear at around 2k revs. and with no engine load.

but i will take the sump and give a check at the bearings, as they are not expensive. But dont want really to open all engine at this moment :cry:

one thing to check is the vibration damper locking bolt.old ones have tendence to work loose and snap.its stretch bolt so you only use it once.

just take coolant pump/power steering belt off and grab the damper+ try rock it about.will give you a clue if somethings not right

one thing to check is the vibration damper locking bolt.old ones have tendence to work loose and snap.its stretch bolt so you only use it once.

just take coolant pump/power steering belt off and grab the damper+ try rock it about.will give you a clue if somethings not right

will do that, as my engine is hanging like this now

p100914154643.jpg

p100914.jpg