Sign in to follow this  
CIPO

Temp gauge

My dash temp gauge is telling me strange stories. On any journey, excess of 100 miles included, the temp never shows more than 70-75. I always remember it to be in and around the 90ish mark. I could see through it if the needle didn't move at all, but this is weird!

Any ideas or anyone encountered this before??

MIne shows a constant 70-75 when driving normally, rising to 90c when in traffic.

Have vag com'd it to pick up the read from the blue temp sensor (yellow fees dash) and that shows 86c crusing rising to 96c in traffic which is spot on. Tried changing the yellow sender and this caused my guage to read a constant 120c! so put the old sensor back in. Tried a different guage and no different. Its just a quirk i`ve learned to live with.

Did you try a different gauge with a new blue sender (which are black these days). By the way mate, do you still have the spare gauge. Ive knackered my temp gauge messing with it - similar issue to yours and i need to replace it. Dont want to have to buy a full set of clocks just for the temp/fuel gauge

CIPO - Best to get VAGCOM hooked up to it as it will tell you the water temp, then compare to what it says on the dash. But it could also be the thermostat if both vagcom and the gauge are reading more or less the same (the gauge is only so accurate)

Yeah i tried various combinations with the gauge/senders and no joy. I know how much the guage it out by so if i see it hitting 90c during normal driving i know i have a problem.

Still got a working temp/fuel gauge if you want it? Make me an offer, I can post tomorrow if you can paypal today.