Sign in to follow this  
stuzzer16v

Restoration Project - HELP!!!!

Greetings fellow worshippers,

I have just purchaced my first corrado (1.8 16v, G reg, 174k, FSH) as a restoration project and welcome any advise/prices/suppliers on the following:-

Engine mountings - (front one is broken, others are stuffed) - upgrade from standard?

Brake upgrades - (standard stoppers are ok, just seems the right time to do it)

Shocks n springs - (I'm on 15" BBS/VW wheels but might go to 17's) Suggestions??

Headlamp wiring upgrade - is it worth it?

Engine mods - not too fussed on top end speed just acceleration, cams/zorst n filter seem favourites, is there a right and wrong way to mod the airbox? not got enough for a blower or spray yet. Suggestions??

The whole car is going to get stripped n sprayed asap but i'm unsure of what colour, red at the mo but i'm debating on a pale silver or flip. I will post pics as work progresses and would like to offer many thanks to anyone who gives advise.

Finally, in my 13 years of driving its taken me 3 xr2's, 2 xr3i's, 1 xr4x4, 1 205 1.9, 3 cav sri's, 1 shatstra gte and 1 orion ghia to finally be converted to the ways of the VW. Problem with owning my corrado is.........i can't drive it til the works done!

Nuts!

Cheers all

Engine mounts: Genuine VAG ones are good, Vibratechnics are rated by many here as much better... 8)

Brakes: on a 1.8 16V you can go up to G60 brakes pretty easily, or there's a willwood conversion or the 305mm Brembo 4pot conversion for about £450... 8)

Shocks and springs: coilovers are supposedly the best, there's loads of other options though... H&R and koni shocks are supposed to be a good combination...

Headlamp wiring upgrade: YES! Do this NOW! :wink: :lol:

Engine mods: there's a few things you can do to the KR lump to get more out of it, but a lot of them are quite costly... A lot of the people here will say to get a 2L bottom end for it... Use the search up at the top of the page, and you'll find LOADS on this... 8)

Welcome to the forum... Keep us updated, sounds like you've a few interesting ideas for you 'rado... 8)

Cheers Henny, will try and do a few "before and after" type fotos as the rado progresses. It's annoying walking out of the house every day and not being able to drive it! My landlords got a Corvette so that satisfys the need for speed at the mo. :D

before I turn the airbox into swiss cheez tho, is there a right and wrong way of drilling it, I have removed the horn shaped intake already.......... should I have??

hello

for the front engine mount i would use the golf mkII 1.6 diesel unit

slighty stiffer than the corrado 16v unit and the same price :)

as for the airbox, remove the hot air feed from the back and remove the vacum link. Also put in a nice k&n filter and knock out the front snorkle in the box. You can drill a few holes on the rear headlamp/wing side but anymore than that u start to get hot air back into the engien which is not good

also headlamp loom everyone says do it (ive got it but never fitted it lol)

also engine power wise like Henny said 9A bottom end is the way to go

suspension coilovers is the way to go and FK do a set which are Koni re-branded but make sure they are fully adjustable i.e. height and damping. If there are to expensive i would go for the eiback springs and koni shocks my mate has this on his car and its a very nice setup

last but not least get urself some audi UR claiper carriers and youll be able to use ur calipers on g60 280mm discs and just order 16v pads for ur car :), i have this setup and works a treat ;) but if u want more breaking power i would go for the brembo 4 stud kit of a seats which at the present moment im working of a group buy for the corrado guys :)