Sign in to follow this  
DGL

VR6 Cold Starting

Just in time for the real cold, the VR6 has become a very poor cold starter, it spins away on the starter motor but does not fire. When it does eventually fire the idle is quite weak until it has warmed up a few degrees and then it is fine. I use the time waiting for it to warm up to give thanks for having a good battery.

When warm it starts easily enough, idles fine and runs smoothly - although it does have a very occasional momentary hiccup as if it is going to cut out but doesn't and it does smell of petrol when hot. I have replaced the 109 relay, cleaned the wire MAF with contact cleaner (carefully!) taken the isv off and cleaned and lubricated it. The ecu is not sitting in wet leaves or water and I sprayed it with WD40 just for good measure. I cannot see any leaks anywhere.

When the isv wiring is connected the isv swings to fully open when the starter is turned. The car starts better with the isv wiring disconnected.

I do not know whether the isv should be fully open from cold, or what sensor causes the isv to open. Can anyone help?

Any ideas what else could cause poor cold starting? Cheers.

Check all the intake pipework for airleaks. Also check that the foam from the ISV damper box hasn't been sucked into one of the ISV pipes. Probably worth replacing the fuel pump relay + changing the fuel filter.

Thanks CazzaVR - do you know whether the isv should be fully open from cold and which sensor causes the isv to open?