AJ_EQ

Cat question and engine faults

lambda is post cat and on top of the exhaust, worst place possible to get at :)

Can it jacked up to access it or would a pit be safer?

did my 8v one with the car on jack and axle stands, not too bad, had to cut old lambda wiring to get socket on (or you could buy a slotted lambda socket) and then there's not much room to swing the ratchet but it undid OK, been on there for 16 years too.

Didn't feel the need to start a new thread, just thought id drag up my old topic. Hope thats cool.

So finally got around to testing the lambda. Bought a multimeter, set it up according to another post on the forum. After reading many topics relating to this, i put the probe into the black plug, into the wire separate from the others, which was white, and many people have mentioned it being black, but my black wire is grouped with the other 2. Wired up wrong?

Anyway warmed the engine up and tested it. I'm seeing mainly values jumping from various figures between 0.1 and 0.9, some closer, some further apart. Occasionally it drops below 0.1 but not constantly.

Assuming I've set this test up correctly i am lead to believe these are the values I should be seeing, so the problem of excessive fuel consumption and rich exhaust fumes remain a mystery!!1 Maybe I should just change the lambda anyway?

Just thought Id update my thread so anyone who comes across it may find it helpful.

Turns out the lambda was functioning correctly as I suspected. Being my first corrado I had no idea what the engine temperature was supposed to average. Turns out it was 20 Degrees to cold. So got the Thermostat and housing removed and the whole lot was shot. Popped a new one in and voila, sorted!!! Engine runs a lot warmer now, fuel consumption and power is up. Hope this helps someone.

now onto the leak......