Sign in to follow this  
stu37

VR6 268 cams from the USA...

Hi guys I have had my usual post christmas ponder about the VR and what to do in the new year and I have been thinking about changing the cams in the VR. I know of the most popular brands and wondered if any cam to the 263 profile would be worthwhile if not a known european brand, eg piper or schrick.. I have had a look online and americans seem to have masses of cams and people who make them and what appears to be to at a very good qaulity, but for a fraction of the uk price.

For instance 262's on http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camshafts.htm#vr6 for $350 for the pair (lifetime warranty)

or 268's on http://www.fourseasontuning.com/index.p ... category=2 for a mere $345 dollars.

All other profiles are available at also mega competitive prices.

This just seems mega cheap to me and either I have seriously missed something or uk companies are charging much more than abroad....

Are these cams from the US made of chocolate...... :D

The problem is the cost of postage, and then import duty... it will wipe out any savings you make. DG Autotech are now making their own cams for the VR6 - only a few people have had them so far, but have had positive reviews :) Will probably work out a smidge cheaper than importing cams from the states..

I figured this to be the case tho I know someone who lives in the states and may be able to get things sent as a gift cough cough rather than from a company direct.. Can I dodge import duty that way..? Any clues on how much DG Autotech cams are..?

I believe they are in the region of £350 but not sure about that.. though you'd want to factor in a remap as well on top of that to take full advantage of them!

I figured this to be the case tho I know someone who lives in the states and may be able to get things sent as a gift cough cough rather than from a company direct.. Can I dodge import duty that way..? Any clues on how much DG Autotech cams are..?

350 iirc

I believe they are in the region of £350 but not sure about that.. though you'd want to factor in a remap as well on top of that to take full advantage of them!

I can see your point that is a really good price compared to the US as by the time you have faffed about its not worth it. I fancy giving the corrado a bit more go but really dont want to move away from N/A as my vr is my only car. Is anyone running 268's in a daily...?

350 iirc

"by the way nice car mate I had a read up of your build thread the other day, the car is a credit to you :salute: "

350 iirc

"by the way nice car mate I had a read up of your build thread the other day, the car is a credit to you :salute: "

Mine??

Yes mate, I like what you did with the front lights I know its not everyones cup of tea but its good to go your own way.

Oh thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. It's always great to gt a few compliments!! Oh and dont worry I'm making a come back with that look one more time, check my thread in a few weeks!!

I'd personally advice you keep an eye out for 2nd hand schimmels as thy are tried and tested but if you want brand new snap up the dg cams, they seem similar enough!

Oh thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. It's always great to gt a few compliments!! Oh and dont worry I'm making a come back with that look one more time, check my thread in a few weeks!!

I'd personally advice you keep an eye out for 2nd hand schimmels as thy are tried and tested but if you want brand new snap up the dg cams, they seem similar enough!

Thanks for the advice mate, i dont have the biggest budget like some guys on here (mature student 24 lol) but maintaining and updating when I can, I would honestly not be without my VR now.. I will keep my eye on your thread to see whats happening!!!!

No worries I feel your pain dude, just left uni myself (21) lol.

Cheers