Sign in to follow this  
Jonny777

Quite chunky oil leak. :(

I've been trying to troubleshoot an oil leak on my Corrado for the last week. It seems to be getting worse and pools around the bottom of the gearbox bell housing and that side of the sump then onto the floor.

What ideas do people have? I'm thinking (sadly) that it's the rear main crankshaft seal. The big one between the gearbox and the sump. :(

Could it be anything else? The amount its leaking is about a 10cm x 10cm puddle at times. I've got most of the other gaskets too just in case but has anyone else had an oil leak like this?

Cheers.

I have this exact leak! I could only think of the same crankshaft oil seal, unless you have a small tear in the sump gasket. At the moment I've just been topping up with oil frequently until I can get it properly diagnosed, got a new crankshaft seal flange in preparation though :(

:(

Where did you get your main crank seal from? Apparently vw only do the full seal with aluminum plate set up now as people broke the seals too often pushing them in.

Eurocarparts stock the seal, bout 8 pounds iirc. VW want about 60 with the flange! I got a replacement flange from CTWG60 on here. think he had more than one but not sure if a G60 one is the same as 16v. Check his thread out in the for sale section

Hope this helps