Sign in to follow this  
krnau

kr running "like" on 3 cyls after spark plugs change.. FIXED

Hello,

I also posted it on clubgti as I'm going mad ATM...

Today has been (maybe) one of the worst days of my life. However, there's something that "is" always there: one's car... well not really, please read as it follows..

My corrado (KR) had been experiencing a loss of power, so I was suggested to replace some bits. Right, I did it today.

First of all, I replaced distributor cap and rotor arm. Went for a drive and the car was running same as before: not as powerful as it should, but at least it was running good. So I went back to my garage to replace:

-Injector seals (o-rings), both the thick and the thin ones per injector.

-Spark plugs.

While I was doing this, I left the injectors out of the manifold in order not to flood the engine (I also had warm-starting problems and everything pointed to a leaky injector). I left them out for about 30 minutes while I was doing the job, taking care that none of them got in contact with dirt/oil/etc.

I then put the injectors back into the manifold, and reconnected the spark plugs leads as well.

I started the car and it keeps on idle, at about 400rpm like when the hot starting problems occurred. I waited for about 20 seconds and, as I realised, it wouldn't cure :( While this was happening, I could hear the PA! PA !! PA!!!PAPAPAP!!! of unburnt fuel exploding in the exhaust :(

Then I pulled back out the 'new' spark plugs and dropped the 'old' ones in. The problem was still there. (Oh ****!!!).

Then I pulled out all spark plug leads (one by one), and replaced them (one by one) with a well-known working set. The problem was still there (Oh **** x 2!!!).

I swapped the dizzy cap with the 'old' one, and (yes!) Oh ****!! the problem was still there...

I left the car on (crappy) idle (and kinda misfiring), and pulled the spark plug leads out of the dizzy cap, one by one, and I could see the spark jumping from the dizzy cap to each lead. Right, at least we know there's spark on all cylinders.

Pulling out both of the top ones (one by one, not both at the same time) made almost no noticeable difference. However, pulling the bottom ones (one by one, as well) made the idle go lower and I could hear more fuel exploding in the exhaust.

If I had (by coincidence) split an air hose or something, I think that the car would also have a bad idle.. but it wouldn't make the cylinder(s) not to be able to burn the fuel (as it seems to be happening).

So then I'm not sure if I've plugged the plugs leads into the dizzy cap in the correct order. Would the car fire up with two (or more) swapped leads?

I'll be doing another delivery test tomorrow just to make sure that I've not fooked an injector ....

PLEASE help... I only own this car and I need to use it daily

Thanks for reading!

hey, I've just come back from the garage and I found that I had cyl 1 and 2 leads swapped over LoL

btw, on kr distributor it's

1-3-4-2

fixed!!!!