Sign in to follow this  
mjcp

Brake pad choice (Time critical, fitting this afternoon)

I picked up pads for front and rear yesterday from GSF (their OE/Standard ones, not their budget brand and not Mintex or EBC).

I then found on a shelf in my garage a set of EBC "Ultimax" pads left over from a previous car (Corrado listed on the box).

So the question is…

EBC get a poor write up on the pages on this site (tends to be in relation to the various "COLOURstuff" versions); Should I stick with the OE pads or put in the Ultimax pads.

My C (Std. 2.0 16v) is a daily driver, no track use, just spirited day time driving :)

Cheers in advance,

Marc

id say stick the OE pads on for now and then get reading the brake thread. I have greenstuff EBC with EBC disks. I think they're ok, but i know there are better brake combos out there. Least with OE you know what you're getting.

After all this, both sets of pads are well under half used...

The reason I started looking was a "rubbing" sound under light braking, looking at the rears, there is a slight ridge (looks as though it had been rusted but no is in contact with the pad) on the outer edge of the disc, I suspect on light braking, this is the only bit fully in contact, where-as on normal braking, the whole pad is in contact. (the car has had very light use for the last 10 years, the set in there are OE, with VW logo!).

Thanks for your help!

Marc