Sign in to follow this  
mjcp

Kenwood KDC-BT60u install

I have been hunting round for a Bluetooth/iPod/iPhone controlling head unit and had narrowed it down to one of the Alpine iXDA-XXX (001 through 311) or the Kenwood BT60u.

The Alpines go for between £85 and £100 odd on eBay (used) and the bluetooth box is an extra £40 - £80. There are also numerous reports of problems with the Alpine kit with iPhones (though they seem to be reduced if you use an iPod for music and leave the iPhone for bluetooth).

I haven't seen a used Kenwood unit on eBay in the last week of looking/watching, but they are listed new from £155 - £250+ The online reviews suggested the build in not as solid to the touch but they do work at least!

Anyway,

I went down to Car Audio Security in Hayes, Middx to have a touch and feel with both. In the end I went with the Kenwood unit, I couldn't feel much difference between them, both units have a large dial to do volume, scroll through ipod etc and both have large lcd displays. The kicker was the Kenwood has the Parrot bluetooth built in and is new for £160 with a 12 month warranty.

I have routed the iPod connector through the rubber grommet under the heating controls into the cubby whole. I have yet to fully route the mic for the handsfree.

Sound is good (previous head unit was a 4 x 50 Pioneer CD/Radio) even through the stock speakers. Blue tooth call quality is fine (though the C is hardly quiet on the motorway!)

Here's a grainy iPhone pic of the install:

I've got this head unit - pretty happy to be honest after trying the Alpine IDA-X300 which didn't work properly with my iPhone 3GS. Routed the microphone up the inside of the A-pillar so it's almost invisible and the USB lead through the rubber grommet in the storage bin. Bluetooth function is easy-peasy (thanks to Parrot) and it looks pretty discrete in the dated dash.