Andy665

Drive of Lexus LFA

Was fortunate enough to drive a new Lexus LFA today at the test track at the Toyota Training Centre in Brussels.

What an awesome car, 560bhp at 8.700rpm, revs from idle to 9,000rpm in 0.6 of a second, 202mph top end, single clutch semi-automatic gearbox with changes variable from pretty smooth to a real slam in the back.

The attention to detail on the thing is incredible - total carbon fibre body, the V10 engine is made by Yamaha, rear transaxle, 390mm carbon ceramic brakes.

The engine spec is awesome - 4.8 litre 72 degree V10, individual throttle bodies, dry sumped, separate ECU's for each cylinder bank, titanium valves and connecting rods, forged aluminium pistons, solid rocker arms

And the noise - never heard anything thats road legal sound as close as a F1 car - way more shrill and intense than a V8 Vantage, Maserati GranTurismo, Alfa 8C or 458 Italia

Fascinating seeing one of the early pre-production cars being stripped down, the block can be picked up easily with one hand - the size of the built up engine is probably no bigger than a VR

48/52 front / rear weight distribution made it quite eerie to drive. Engineers made sure that the 50:50 weight distribution point and Centre of Gravity is at the hip point so when you turn into a corner it feels like its steering from exactly where you are sitting

Best thing is I get to drive it again next Monday

Thanks for posting up a review! Jealous much yes!

I suppose it isn't worth the money when you look at the specs sheet alone but when you take into account everything gone into the model, it makes it a little easier to accept the price tag.

Dr Forinor - its definitely a car for a true mechanical enthusiast and not someone who wants a "badge" - I have been lucky enough to drive a lot of top end cars but the LFA took the intensity of the driving experience to a whole new level

Andy, I don't understand how you get to drive these cars. I remember reading of something else you drove a little while back. Am i missing something?

Is your first name actually "Sheikh"?

boost monkey - its what I do for a living. Work for companies on writing / delivering product training for new vehicles, work on launches etc etc, not all like the LFA but it gives me access to cars well in advance of them being launched.

Starting work on another Lexus product in June that won't be launched until 2012 - Lexus easily the best company I work for - open doors policy for me with regard to access to vehicles