OllieVR6

Top nut hex size? Looking for a good allen/hex key

Can anyone confirm the size of the hex/allen key required for the VR6 front strut top nut please? (I think it's 7mm)

I'm going to be doing my top mounts soon and I want to make sure I have all the right tools. I know from experience that 'regular' allen keys can hurt your hands if the bolt is tight so I'm thinking of getting this as it has a rubber handle:

http://www.mptools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=68425

It's the only one I can find with a handle, so unless anyone knows of better allen keys for the job (or a good set in general) I think it looks like a good one.

and compressor and socket and...and...and...!

I have one of these bad boys:

1270988562-16742-0.jpg

it's good for easier 7mm bolts and you can stick a pipe over the end to do suspension top mounts. They're only a few quid now by the looks of things. Made by Sykes-Pickavant.

Edited by boost monkey

I used to drive to the local garage, get them to undo the nuts and drive home with them losened :)

I have one of these bad boys:

it's good for easier 7mm bolts and you can stick a pipe over the end to do suspension top mounts. They're only a few quid now by the looks of things. Made by Sykes-Pickavant.

x2!! much easier with one of these^^^

Edited by davidwort

Thanks for the replies, the Draper tool seems more readily available that the Sykes version, will it be good enough?

I also read here that you need two specific tools from VW. I found that one of the tools looks like these on ebay look the same and they are cheap, has anyone bought one?

the hex tool with the little lugs for the strut slotted nut (holds the top bearings onto the susp leg) don't take much force, I've got a VW one my dad has used for nearly 30 years! but for occasional use a copy would be fine (this is the same tool that is used to remove the cover on the steering rack)

can anyone confirm that the tool required for KW suspension is different size.

am 90% sure i got that skyespickavan one and it worked with standard suspension but have some memory of it not fitting the KW's?