dkingvr6

Engine temp too low?

Hello all,

Just been driving long distance for the first time since doing a water change, i also changed the thermostat and fan switch, i used the ones that Awesome supply i.e. Low temp thermo and neuspeed lower temp fan switch, as in the past with other vr6's i had problems with them running a bit hot. Running round town sits at 80-90 and fan kicks in first stage at that sort of temp, on the long run today on the motorway it was below 70! Then running around town back to 80-90, have a over done it on the cooling??? Also have fitted new rad at same time as water change

Cheers Dan

I don't see the point of these - VW design the whole engine management system around the engine temp running at 90 degrees - fit the standard stat back in or it will constantly run rich.

Cheers for that, bit peeved that Awesome sell these as an upgrade then, waste of money and time that was then! Should i also change the fan switch back over as well do you reckon from the Neuspeed one?

Whats the best way to change the stat? its a pain to get to, do you have to take the whole housing off the side of the block or can you leave that on and just remove the stat cover?

I noticed that on your sig you have a vr6 storm. On the storm model the grill have 2 closed slats which could make the engine run a bit hot unlike normal vr6 where all the the 3 slats are open. Maybe trying a grill with more "open" slat will help with the cooling side of things in the future. From other threads I ve read it will reduce the temp by a few degrees.

Thats not just on storms tbh. "normal" VRs have the 2 closed slats also. But i agree, another 2 open slats would help air flow. Not sure why VW only made them with one open slat???

I'm with Supercharged on this one.......with all respect to other suppliers, VW or any other car manufacturer has spent millions in the R & D of the car and they usually get it right (Rover K series engines being the exception........), put the old stuff back in mate IMO........My VR6 always runs hot after only 10 mins but pulls like a train.....

Thats not just on storms tbh. "normal" VRs have the 2 closed slats also. But i agree, another 2 open slats would help air flow. Not sure why VW only made them with one open slat???

Maybe the 2 closed slat was destined for VR6 in colder climates so the oil can get up to temperature faster ???? U seen ice road truckers on TV they have their huge lorry grills partially sealed. Just a thought :)

Cheers for all the answers, my grill is fully open, as it was a replacement by VW at some point inclusive of a terrible spray job (now re-painted properly), I will stick the old thermostat back and the proper fan switch

Right all swapped back, except the fan switch as the temp stamped on the side was same a my new std switch???? But stat works much better now, test drive showed temp would not drop below 82 ish on long road at a steady 70mph at 4 degrees outside temp, and 90ish at standing tickover