coullstar

BMW 120d info

Might not have to sell the Mk5 now but Ive thought about going back to a diesel as it would save at least £850 a year. I can pretty much swap the Mk5 for a 5dr 120d BM so Im looking for people that have run one before to give thier opinions. All seems good in the review apart from harsh ride and smaller boot, both of which I can live with quite easily. Remap will bring it to ~200bhp and ~300lbft of torque, thats quite appealing.

Not owned one but my aunt has one and i've driven it quite a bit and its bloody awesome. Great drive with a pretty well sorted chasis and powerfull while reasonably economical. She has a 177bhp (i think thats the figure) m sport model.

Downside is like you said, small boot, rear legroom and harsh ride but they're easy to live with if you're not getting kids in child seats and prams etc into the car.

the second generation have 177bhp and peak power comes in at 1750rpm if you can strech it go for the M sport package...Nicer bodykit and better handling upgrades. 17inch wheels that comes with the M pack is fine I think anything more will give it a harsh ride. Tyres are expensive to replace as they are runflats.

I think the 5 door 1 series m sport looks miles better than a 3 door version.

On twisty roads they are awesome in my opinion.

Edited by VWVW

Would be looking at a straight swap at around £9k so wont be getting an M-sport version for that. Its a Sport or SE about 5-6 years old that would be what Im thinking off. Going to have a look at one tomorrow, I just fancy a non VAG car for a change plus Ive never owned a RWD car so it will be good learning if I get a Porker at some point.

One thing that will disappoint you is the interior quality. Nothing wrong with how its built but the quality of the plastics is truly dire - nice car to drive though, if not particularly refined