vw domo

2l 16v stutter p p problem :(

Hi all, iv been having progressive stutter problems with the valver lately.

When im pressing lightly on the throttle it will lurch quite badly and then as the engine starts to warm it will bog down al the low reves, seems fine at high revs.

I took a look at the plugs and there quite black around the bottom of the threads and the exhaust seems quite black lately too, not seen any smoke from the back or anything tho.

I guessing this is oil getting in the cylinders past the rings after the long cold winter. Just after some advice on wether this is or is not the problem and where to go from here really.

Thanks,

Dom

I hope someone knows exactly what this is as I have a very very similar problem, Although I need to service mine after being off the road for the winter....

I'm of the opinion that engines and cars should be used. Leaving them lying for five or six months of the year doesn't really suit them. Give it a good batter, preferably along a motorway will solve a lot of the "laid up" problems as described.

try a bottle of stp injector cleaner. mine started to do the same. have it booked in next week to change distributor,dizzy cap and rotor arm, coil,plugs, leads, cam belt, and maybe lambda sensor in exhaust. hopefully that will fix it.

Iv replaced all the ht leads, coil, spark plugs, dizzy, rotor armand checked the timing but the problem still persists. Injector seals where done not too long ago either and i ran some cleaner through them arter.

It only stutters when pressing really lightly on the throttle, could this be intake or fueling? Spark plugs are black after driving for a few days. Maybe lambda? Any ideas would be brill. Thanks.

Are you using good quality oil i use vw synta silver nothing else also could be worth changing the fuel filter

Im having similar problems but im breaking down for a random 5 mins before she fires up fine again

Mines boggy low down tho thinking of giving the throttle body a good clean and service to see if that helps

how did everyone get on that had problems if youv had time to have a fiddle?

I ended up checking the ht leads, distributor, rotor arm, plugs, timing, cleaning and checking all the sensors on the metering head, cleaning the distributor and sensor, checking all vacuum connections gaskets, cleaning the throttle and making sure the micro switch works and lastly spraying vacuum and electricals with some wd40.

I also found that where the metering head separates from the top section of the air box was loose so i tightened up the 6 hex bolts to seal the gasket up again.

one of these things has made a big difference anyway! lol

Yo,

Sounds like a problem I was having last year... spluttered like crazy in low revs but worked fine when warmed up... was a problem starting sometimes. I changed dizzy and cap etc but no luck... turned out it was the lamda... a cheap fix too.

Now i have another problem, She start first time everytime - if I use her every day. If I dont start her up over a 3 - 4 day period, she wont fire at all. Battery seems fine and cranks without problem, I have to put the jump leads on and turn her over for about an hour until she fires. - then apply 'some gas' until she's warmed up, then it's back to normal and runs sweet! - A problem though, because I cant go anywhere without her! haha,

Anyone have any suggestions for this one?

ta, Paul

Thanks paul, might be my lambda is iv just fitted a new one and its not genuin.

Could your problem be to do with fueling? Possibly fuel pump?

Let me know if the Lambda's at fault!

I defo flooded the engine last time I had the starting problem, which to me say's that fuel is getting through ... do you still think the fuel pump could be the source? - Someone else on here asked about the fuel filter too, though mine's pretty old, I'm not sure how this could effect starting after sitting for a while?

Are you using good quality oil i use vw synta silver nothing else also could be worth changing the fuel filter

Im having similar problems but im breaking down for a random 5 mins before she fires up fine again

Mines boggy low down tho thinking of giving the throttle body a good clean and service to see if that helps

I had exatly the same problem Mate. When the car was warm and sat in traffic, the car would struggle for a short period of time and then cut out. 5 mins later it would fire up and be OK for a while. Got to the point where I couldn't trust it to get me to work :(.

I checked the lift pump in the fuel tank and found that although the lift pump was in good working order, there was no power to it as some 1 amp had butchered the wiring!!! got that working again and all is well (so far)

My splutter problem was fixed with a new Lambda, and my starting problem's fixed with a fuel filter... sorted! Thanks to all who suggested!

Glad someone ppl are getting somewhere with there issues, Mines only getting worse.

I tried swapping out the metering head and that made next to no difference :( still stuttering under acceleration and black plugs.

Pump and accumulator is last on the list it looks like, is there anything iv missed? What about the sensors at the back of the air box, are they maf sensors?

I noticed the plugs arnt black on the electrode or pins just around the bottom of the thread, it's popping and stuttering badly under acceleration now but fine at idle, mpg is ok and dosent reak of fuel. All the electrical side of things bar the ignition module and ecu has been replaced, metering head swapped and new lambda. Would the pumps or accumulator be a cause or am I looking in the wrong place?

Had a bit of a break through today! :)

The stutter problem turned out to be a dodgy rotor arm, looked fine but didn't seem to work properly.

My advice would be if your c stutters under load and it seems electrical just replace everything from the coil to the plugs, saves chasing faults constantly. Either that or just hit it with a big hammer till your defiantly sure the problem won't come back, I was close!

Thanks to everyone who suggested ;)