Sign in to follow this  
randal

Part Number for pulley

Hi,

I'm looking for a part number on a 90 1.8 16v belt tensioner, it's the pulley that does between the alternator and the water pump (or bottom crank ?) If it's any help, it's the pulley closest to the front of the car directly after the alternator. Reason being, some ar$e over tightened the belt, and the bearings are shot to sh1t.

Thanks in advance

randal

mate a bit confused by ur request

On the corrado 16v came with two belt on their systems

First belt goes round the crank pulley, water pump pulley and alternator pulley

Second belt system goes round the outside of the cranck pulley and powersteering pulley. I have seen a very limited amount of 16v corrado that have a etra pulley on the water pump for the power steering system but that you really dont need.

As for the belt tension on the inner belt system thats dont moving the alternator back and forwars and on the outside belt stsyem that done on the power steering pump

if you imagine it as the pulley directly after the alternator, and closest to the front of the engine - it's that puppy. It's on the alternator belt circuit, well tensioned by the alternator movement. hope that helps, sorry for being a vw no nothing.... ....there are times when i miss my Toymotor. :D

Thanks for the reply

randal

the only one i can think of is the water pump pulley that sits under the alternator but in front of the crank pulley??

if so whats the problem with it?

i think that's the one. it's got a bit of play in it, and when cold sounds like a screaching cat under a steamroller. it's basically worn, the bearings have had it.

ta

randal

well then u need to change ur water pump has nothing to do with the pulley

are you find the car is runnign hotter than it should be ?

i don't *think* it's the WP, it's 100% a pulley. Remember that much, might be called a jockey pulley...? been scouring the web looking for pics - can't find any, so I'll have to grab a piccie tonight and see if that helps.

randal

yeah sure do because i have no idea what ur talking about (no offense intended)

but if its the water pump pulley, then it def is ur water pump thats gone, this is common as the pulley bolts on with three bolts to the water pump shaft

if anyone out there has a pic of the side of a 16v engine please feel free to post it up

I reckon that you could be on about the idler pulley for the power-steering... :?

This is the double pulley on the waterpump shaft. The inner pulley drives the waterpump, the outer one is a free running pulley with a brass/fibre bush inside it to act as a bearing... These bushes break down pretty easily and create an almighty screeching noise when they go... :?

VAG has recently lowered :shock: the price of this pulley to around the £40 mark (was over £80 about 4 years ago!)

There's another thread about it HERE but no part number... sorry... 8)

VW lowering a price? blimey, the entire parts sourcing team must have got laid good and hard the night before that little nugget! the more i hear ppl mention pas - the more i think it's the right pulley. at low speeds, i get a subtle whine from the pas - wonder if the whole thing is linked?? Henny - with the goods again, you are one with this forum i swear!

thanks

randal

Doesn't the water pump pulley on 16 Valves have a calibrated slip to it. As the engine heats up the slippage stops and the pump gets full drive. This aids a quick warm up. Its a kind of bimettalic thing.

Gavin

Nope, the bit that's free to turn is on the belt that goes to the P/S... :?

The alternator belt does a crank -> waterpump -> alternator route which spins the waterpump at all times. 8)

The PAS belt does a crank -> idler -> PAS pump route...

what i dont understand is why u need the idler pulley???

i never had it on min if only ever seen in on two 16v

there's two pulley setups on 1.8 16v's, earlier cars got the golf/jetta 2 arrangement with a second (idler)pulley on the waterpump that has a slip bearing built into it, it's there basically to deflect the belt or it would foul on the water pump, the later cars (and 2.0 16v's) have a different arrangement that avoids the need for this and drives the ps pump only, straight from the crank pulley, then the other belt drives the alternator and water pump (think that's the right way round.

I think you need to change quite a few of the pulleys and both belts to turn an earlier arrangement into the later one, although the ps pump water pump and alternators should be the same.

David. (6A audi engine at the ready for my C)

It's so VW could run the P/S at a different drive speed from the alternator/waterpump without the belt fouling the waterpump. :?

AFAIK all KR 16Vs had this set up if they had P/S... 8)

well if thats the case ive got my crank wheel (double pulley) and old water pump pulley (this is actually a upgrade as its smaller than standard so the pump spins quicker) up for sale soon as i dont need it with my new setup :)

randal if your interested email me

It's so VW could run the P/S at a different drive speed from the alternator/waterpump without the belt fouling the waterpump. :?

well nope my has never had this setup and ive only ever seen it on two 1.8 16v

all 4 of the KR 16V engined cars I've had have had this idler setup, and every KR 16V 'rado/golf/passat I've ever worked on has had the same... :?

Nope, cause Bally's doesn't and that's a KR, although it is a German spec RHD with the later digital mileometer dash, not that that makes a difference.

The later setup drives the ps pump directly from the crank (different sized pulleys) and the alt and water pump are driven by the other belt.

David.