stu37

Gearbox rebuild or buy second hand....???

Hi guys, posted the other day commenting on my gearbox that has become rattly in second (only 90k on the clock). I have been having a look around at gearbox's and been hit with so much confusion about the "best gearbox to buy" for a vr6.

I have been hunting and most seem to be in favour of the shorter ratios of the g60 box. I myself can see where lots of comments come from when they say the vr box is lazy for an na car but I cant fault the cruising speed on the motorway where I do a fair bit of traveling.

My question is guys thoughts on either play roulette with a second hand box (which code is best) or the option of rebuilding the vr box (which I would do myself....?).

Any thoughts guys would be much appreciatted as this is doing my head in!!!

If you can rebuild gearbox yourself and only costs you will have are the parts I would go for it.

Thanks for the replys guys, my only worries are the nature of the trouble in the box itself which I will only find out if I break the old one apart! Has anyone else heard or known of individual bearings breaking up and would that be characteristic of rattling in one particular gear???