wormy

Transmission noise G60

The transmission in my G60 has started making some funny noises in neutral (maybe in gear too).. They appear "as far away as you can come from the engine", (left side when sitting in the car). Sounds sort of like a ticking noise, and it disappears when I press the clutch. I've tried to located it with a mechanics stethoscope, and the noise is at it's strongest at the end of the gearbox, near the " removable cover".

Any ideas? Is it doomed? I've already had it out a few thousand km's ago to replace the clutch/flywheel and all the hydraulics.. Would rather not remove it again if I don't have to.. Dunno if it is there when I drive (as the car makes alot of noise on it's own), but it might be.

Edit: The transmission has done 271000km's as far as I know..

Edited by wormy

if it goes when you press the clutch then it's obviously something that touches the main gearbox shaft (or linked to it) when in neutral (and clutch released), as that shaft will be spinning with the engine. It might be worth taking off the end cap on the box and having a look at the selector fork ends (vw call them shift segments) as these can break up on a box that's had a hard life/heavy handed shifting.

It might also have a bent selector fork that's causing rubbing.

Cheers, will try to take a look. Anything in particular I should look for? Will gearbox oil leak everywhere if I remove the cap? :o

gearbox oil is only up to the level of the side fill hole (17mm hex) if the end cap isn't above that you can always drain the fluid out from the 17mm hex underneath the box and re-fill from the side when you've finished.

gearbox oil is only up to the level of the side fill hole (17mm hex) if the end cap isn't above that you can always drain the fluid out from the 17mm hex underneath the box and re-fill from the side when you've finished.

But make sure you can get the fill hole open first!! Otherwise no gearbox oil + no way to refil = bad news

Decided I'd buy a new transmission. Literally new. £450 for a 0 mile gearbox ain't bad I'd say. At least not up here in the north.

It's a 02A CDA-code gearbox, probably for a Mk3 16V ABF. Should bolt straight up, right?

Well, it's in. Just had to change the whole shifter-tower-thingie from the old one over to the new.

The new gearbox had been sold from one person to another a few times, and someone had installed a LSD without telling the next person. Talk about a nice surprise.. Guess I was lucky :D