shuttlepants

2l 16v wont start after sitting for a few days!?

Afternoon all! - any pointers on this one would be great!

She start first time every time - if I use her every day. If I don't start her up over a 3 - 4 day period, she wont fire at all. Battery seems fine and cranks without problem. I have to put the jump leads on and turn her over for about an hour until she fires. - then apply 'some gas' until she's warmed up, then it's back to normal and runs sweet! - A problem though, because I cant go anywhere without her! haha, but as I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks... will be a problem when I get back to the airport!

Anyone have any suggestions for this one?

- think the spark plugs are years old, not sure that this can be a problem though.

- had new leads and injectors last year

- cleaned dizzy

- New lamda done

could be fuel supply problem, crack open one of the metering head pipes when it's stood for a day to see if it's retained any pressure, it should.

has it had a new fuel filter recently?

do you get a strong spark when cranking on own battery, could still be a battery issue.

You need to check you have both good fuel delivery and strong spark when it's been standing, then go from there.

Hi David,

Cheers for the reply man!

Don't suppose you can recommend any garages in the local area (i'm in Warwick/Leamington), I used DG Autotech but need to find someone else (they're too busy!)

Fuel filter will be atleast 18months old.

Not sure how to check fuel pressure ... though last time i had this starting problem i think i flooded the engine (so fuel is defo getting though)?

thanks again!

A follow up for anyone interested, - and in the hope someone can help me learn in the process!

I Changed the spark plugs at the weekend (1st time)... in prep for leaving the car standing for a week, next week (in the hope that this'll give me a stronger spark and the bugger will start when i get back to the airport!)

- I've got to say, she runs much better now, feels a lot smoother in low revs, more pull on acceleration (though every time I put my foot down I think this anyway, always surprises me!) and I think the MPG's up too (what do you guys reckon, is this possible, or am I talking rubbish?)

The characteristics on starting have changed though, she still starts first time, but idles rough and revs jump up and down for 20 seconds or so (when cold - otherwise she's fine and idles smooth from the off)... any ideas what this would suggest?

Ta!