Sign in to follow this  
VW Corrado 16V

110 degrees in the city!?

My Corrado is 1.8i 16V 136 HP. I have this problem:

When I drive the car in the city she go to 110 degrees. When I drive it out the city she go to 80 degrees and there are no problems. Why the car is warming up? Before a few days my vane (fan) has broken. They told me that his motor (of the vane) is broken. But when the vane (fan) was ok the car was still warming up. What is the problem?

110 on the oil, or on the water gauge? 110 oil temp is not that much and is not a problem.... 8)

to be honest mate they do get quite hot idling in traffic, is your fan cutting in to cool it down? you say when you start driving though it goes back down to 80 which is a good water temp. As long as the red warning light doesnt light or steam starts to rise from the bonnet you SHOULD be ok. make sure that fan kicks in when it should though!!

Interesting. My 1.8 16v warms up quickly, then never gets past 90 - 95 degrees (water temp) in the city. I'd be proper concerned if it got to 110 dgrees myself, and the fact that yours drops to 80 whilst moving would have to point at the electric cooling fan as the problem.

Which city are we talking about here? If you're in the middle of Saudi Arabia then it's understandable!

Today I talk with one guy with Corrado (G60). He told me that 110 degrees are not problem and is usual for Corrado (no matter what engine). He told me also that the Corrado (no matter with air condioning) have one FAN and the run-out did not cover the whole radiator.

Is that true?

I noticed how the temp. of my water and oil went up quite a bit yesturday when i was stuck in traffic in town, plus the weather was pretty hot.

water went up to near 100c and oil was 102c

but once out on the open road they came right back down again 8)

i wouldnt worry about it

C

I'm sorry, but how can water get to 110 degrees?

dosn't water boil at a higher temp when under pressure? The2 speed fan switch in the rad kicks in the top speed at 110 (I think)

I'm sorry, but how can water get to 110 degrees?

'cos it's not just water... :roll: The antifreeze (G10 or G11+) are also coolants which raise the boiling point to around 140 degrees (IIRC) when the system is pressurised normally... 8)