OllieVR6

I think I have found the problem :)

...in my exhaust!

I have managed to get the heat shield off, and I know the general area, but it's so hard to see!

With a light I can see the gasses are rising around the left hand side mani (drivers side), but I can't work out if it's a gasket or a hole. I managed to get my hand in between the manifolds before it got too hot and I think I could feel a hole at the top of the downpipe just under where it connects to the manifold. Is this is a common place to get a hole or is it likely to be a gasket? Any tips for getting more visibility around that area?

Cheers!

Edited by OllieVR6

Mirror on a stick? I used to use redex as it produces a nice white smoke. Start the engine and dip the end of aone of the small vaccuum hoses into the tin for a second or two and the leak should reveal itself. Alternatively, remove a plug and squirt a drop down the plughole. Might be better to get someone else to start the engine while you stare intently at the suspected location.

Well myself and Dad can't really see what's going on but we think it's the downpipe. Even if it isn't, then it will be a gasket and the downpipe needs to come off to do that anyway.

Any tips for getting the nuts off? 4 are easy to get to, but 2 are in a really **** place!

We are thinking it might be easier getting to the bottom two from underneath? It's not that we can't get to them from above, there just doesn't seem to be any room to move the wrench.

Right I have found the problem (I think), I have removed the downpipe as I found the collar on the O/S pipe was no longer attached to the pipe itself (I assume it shouldn't do this?) I will upload a picture tonight.

I need to know if a Golf VR downpipe is the same or if anyone has a Corrado one that I can buy please?

I have ordered all new studs and gaskets from the dealers but there is one gasket that is now obsolete (the downpipe > cat gasket). Will I be able to get one from somewhere like GSF?

Thanks mate but I have already ordered a Golf unit from ebay. If it's no good I will give you a shout!

Mirror on a stick? I used to use redex as it produces a nice white smoke. Start the engine and dip the end of aone of the small vaccuum hoses into the tin for a second or two and the leak should reveal itself. Alternatively, remove a plug and squirt a drop down the plughole. Might be better to get someone else to start the engine while you stare intently at the suspected location.

I like this TIP mate. What pipe would you suggest on a G? I must be too old and too slow, I'm stuck in the dark ages with a cloth rammed up the tailpipe LOL

Any of the vacuum pipes should do as the idea is just to suck some redex into the engine to get burned, it handily cleans as it goes and is an upper cylider lubricant as well. It does produce a lot of smoke when used this way. Back in the day used to get a squirt in the tank every time you filled up. Penny a squirt and 3/ (or 15p) a gallon. Now I just made myself feel really old.