Fulltimejunglist

Engine trying to escape from the bonnet....

I had a lovley suprise today to find when i changed into third my engine had jumped and dented my bonnet in many places (Lumps and paint crackage) would get pictures but its a little depressing so i really dont want too, it hit the air box and has taken the clip which hols it in place off, snapped my alternator, pulled many hoses out (All back in)

Engine is a 1.8 16v

Runs a little funny idle wise but i dont think it is related, my friend told me to put the handbreak on and pullforward a wee, give it a little to see if the engine moved on the mount, my mate who was watching said it jumped out by about a foot which i beleive as he was bright red and sh***ng himself,think he was happy to be alive...

It has also smashed my new fan up, radiator has been knocked and its snapped the mounting point off which goes onto the slam pannel.

So all in all a pretty rubbish day, as i first thought it was due to my radiator being tamperd with....

When on idle it wobbles about like hell on the mounts and i only know of the one mount at the front which ive tightend so please help me out.

yeah sounds like at least one of your mounts have let go. It happened to me once, but I heard a loud DONK as the engine landed again, which is a clear sign of what was happening.

Sounds like yours has been happening for a while, and all the mounts are slowly going now unless they all went at the same time.

Nice one mate, where are the other mounts on the car other than the one at the front, i tightend them, how do i work out if their broken or is it best just to change them and be safe..

Cheers.

yeah as the beastie boy said, there's one below the brake servo and one on the other side which attaches to the gearbox.

The front mount on the 1.8 16v is really easy to change as there's slightly more room around the fans etc than on the 2.0 16v. The others are fairly straightforward too- worth buying all new bolts etc from VW.

Don't be tempted to go cheap (GSF etc) -total false economy. Either go VW or some quality uprated mounts such as Vibratechnics or VF. Black Forest industries do poly inserts which are very good and much cheaper, but they don't ship to the UK. I'm pretty sure they have a UK distributor though- try the search. Think you'll find poly insert sets on Ebay.de too ;)

I've lost count of the times I've heard people saying their GSF mount has failed within a year. Maybe you'll be OK :)

Ah don't start this again! No cars are designed to be used with incredibly uprated mounts! Even in high end racing they still use the OEM mounts for the engines, Porsche Cup and GT3 come to mind!!