rickdonald

Something not quite right...top mounts (with pictures)

Right, here goes.

I set off to work this morning I noticed the car was pulling to the left quite badly, to begin with, then after a while it seemed to ease off. Anyway when I got to work I had a look around and noticed my top mounts are completely different heights, I have done a bit of searching but couldn't really find an answer.

I know they shouldn't really be different heights, and from looking at other pictures I have seen on here it looks like the first picture (drivers side) is the one that's not quite right. The car was parked on the flat with the wheels straight ahead, not sure whether something isn't quite lined up right in the strut.

Managed to get an exploded diagram from Vagcat too for reference. bit nervous about taking it apart before I know a bit more about it, as its my daily and I have an annoying habit of making the simplest job very hard!

Really appreciate any help or advice,

Rick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46650[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46649[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46648[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46652[/ATTACH]

Somethings collapsed on the drivers side, maybe a shock or broken spring...

You could jack it up and have a look but I wouldn't drive it like that unless you have a kwikfit nearby.

Have you looked here?

Ha never thought to type 'dead' or 'shot' into the search. Cheers

So you think there the passenger side looks ok? Just confused me that instead of it pushing the top mount right up it seems to have fallen down? would have thought if the coil or anything else had collapsed or broken it would have meant the car sat more on that side pusing the top mount up? not down.

Cheers

For anyone else who has a problem like this, I had a look at it last night, and looks like the spring plate, between the top mount and coil spring has moved, and slipped into the middle of the coil, guessing through it being the wrong size for the coil, or being built up incorrectly.

Yer thats what I thought, managed to struggle about with it last night and sort it...(for now at least). No idea how long it will be till it does it again though. Annoying becasue it makes the drive alot less enjoyable. Also when trying to fix it noticed the bearing had dropped down too and I have lost a couple of ball beairings. So i'm going to have to replace them too.

Think I may have to invest in a set of coilovers and replace the the whole lot, they are looking very tired, have lots of 'coil shaped' flakey red paint all over the drive from trying to sort it last night!

Everytime I seem to go near the car it seems to give me a beating and run off with my wallet!