Macdaddy

Engine soundproofing foam

Just wanted to know what people are doing with the usually tired old stinking engine sound proofing from the underside of the bonnet?

I've pulled the worst bits off and i'm not sure whether just to remove it all and clean up the paint or replace with something else.

Either way it looks a complete mess tbh and had oil splashed all over from where the oil breather valve was knackered.

What i do know is i covered the engine in a sheet before i took some off as it just disintegrated everywhere and would have made a complete mess. I've searched and know its £100 or so from VW but what do most do?

Edited by Macdaddy

Use an ice scraper and plenty of white spirit. Disolv-it is also very good- it's an aerosol and you find it in the washing powder section in supermarkets. It's identical to the orange smelling glue remover VW use ;)

You can buy the later sound proofing from VW- over £100! The earlier one is obsolete, so I'd just get the paint clean and shiny and leave it if you have an early bonnet.