James.

1995 Sherry Pearl 8V

We get early 40's no problem on the motorway. Sometimes creeping up to 45, but usually around the 44 mark. Commute wise averages out about 33, but by the time I'm getting to work the engine has only just run up to temp.

Yeah I'm running 195's. Thought about putting the left over 205's from the VR on when they run out but fortunately that idea's been canned, as I'll be jumping straight into 16's by then. Still 195's, but just as well by what you say. Are they really that bad economy wise ?

Guess it's 205's for handling/grip then.

Yep that bad. I Would get 47 / 48 on a steady trip to bristol no problem but am now happy to see 40. It does stick well but also feels heavy for it and as a daily the economy is more important.

What with the wheels being well on their way to being refurbished, it just remained that the centre caps receive a small refresh to complete the deal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one for cutting corners. But when I noticed that a new set of Borbet centers would tax me of more than thirty of the queens finest, the have a go hero sat on my shoulder, thought it prudent to try my hand at re-creating some.

So between other jobs today, I made a set up. They're not perfect, But they're also not thirty pounds. I designed them on 2D design, cut the acrylic parts from 3mm clear on the laser cutter, cut the lettering parts on the sticker cutter, backed them in black vinyl, then finally removed the old ones from the brackets and replaced with the new versions.

Here's a couple of images of how the job went.

On the whole I'm happy with them.

Might even try some other brands if anyone's interested.

Edited by James.

Who are you calling clever ? But yes, it would be a shame if I had all this technology at my hands and didn't use it !

Had to wax lyrical after the weekend I've had.

Crept off for a peaceful overnight break. Staying within the counties boundary, we travelled over to this wonderful place:

http://www.parkersarms.co.uk

Spent a few hours in Clitheroe, picking up quality sausages and the odd charity shop Jazz seven inch. Then made the short drive over to Newton in Bowland. First class ales, food and accommodation. A truly belting set up that we couldn't have been happier with. Ate there last year and promised we would return (Ideally earlier, but hey it's all good).

The real icing on the cake came when we went to set off for home and I decided to take an extended "drivers detour" home. drove through some of the best scenery that Lancashire has to offer. Briefly stopped at Stocks reservoir and then pushed on through Gisburn forest, up over the Fells, Cross country through some of the boroughs unspoilt villages then back down the M6 to home in time for tea.

The 8v performed faultlessly and truly bolstered my thoughts of what an accomplished sports tourer / drivers car it is. Much better than either the VR6 and 16v on this outing.

Couple of images for the folder.

nice little write up :)

very similar to my old bus so made me smile even more, love driving it and on a reasonable run it's only a couple of mpg off the 1.6 mk4 we have. If the head ever gives out I think I'll just rebuild it, so simple and easy to work on too, but then they don't ever need it!

I'm going to refurb the original alloys as they are a bit 'brake-dust-stained' but that's the only complaint I've had with it over 2 years, that and the 8 quid in spark plugs it's cost me :)

Looks fantastic sat out there James. Makes me want my 8v back :(

Everything's available at a price !

Seriously, it's a little belter. Very happy with the car.

How's life with the 16 valve ?

---------- Post added at 9:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:30 PM ----------

nice little write up :)

very similar to my old bus so made me smile even more, love driving it and on a reasonable run it's only a couple of mpg off the 1.6 mk4 we have. If the head ever gives out I think I'll just rebuild it, so simple and easy to work on too, but then they don't ever need it!

I'm going to refurb the original alloys as they are a bit 'brake-dust-stained' but that's the only complaint I've had with it over 2 years, that and the 8 quid in spark plugs it's cost me :)

Thank you David. I keep checking in on yours, seeing as it's almost identical.

They are very easy to work on aren't they. All that space around the engine is somewhat of a luxury compared to the VR6.

I've been stock piling service items since late last summer 2011 for it's Easter 2012 service. Apart from that, It's cost me a new coil (£35 from ECP) and £20 for bearings on the alternator.

Okay I've been swapping bits about. But it would have still been operational without them.

Even thinking about selling the new wheels I bought for it. To maintain the OE style.

A toughie...

Busy weekend on the eight valve has been had.

The Boot:

I bought and swapped a damaged drivers door and front passenger wing last summer. Fortunately sourced in Sherry pearl. Whilst buying these I noticed a 3cm hole in the rear boot. Just under the rear screen. It's been letting water in and misting up the interior windows over winter. So I bought the matching boot at the same time. Cleaned it up and left it in the corner of the garage, which it's where it's stood for the last six months. I'd been putting it off and putting it off because I knew it would be a nightmare to do. So this weekend, I got up early and waded in.

First off was disconnecting the loom. I didn't, but I'd advise removing the c post covers to do this job. Then it was a case of having another pair of hands to hold the boot open. I removed the struts then unbolted the 4 bolts that hold the boot on.

The two boots were stood next to each other (because believe me, it's easier than working above your head) and transfered the parts over: Trim, locking mechanism, spoiler, lighting, wiper, struts. I checked the spoiler mech over, but seeing as I had rebuilt/greased it last summer, iit didn't need much work.

By and far the most frustrating part was removing the internal spoiler brackets. They're a plastic bracket, with a brass threaded insert. The outer cover is then bolted into them. Unfortunately VW in they're infinite wisdom decided to add threadlock to the bolts. This results in (most of the time) the brackets breaking. And yes you guessed it, they're obsolete. Cue StueyB to step in and sell me a good one.

I've had dealings with the number plate plinth removal before. A short warming of the lower tape with a heat gun and an easing off with a blunt knife saw it removed with little stress.

The boot/roof securing bolts were a pain to align, but with a good slice of patience and a second (essential) pair of hands, we were victorous.

All the trim was fitted (with extra anti squeak felt) and lastly the lights were lined up. I'll have my friend run his mop over it shortly but in the mean time I'm very happy. Took a full day (stopping for brews and chats).

Interior light was playing up. Sourced the problem to a corroded contact (door switch). Removed, cleaned and bada bing. I see the light once more.

Blower had been making a small bit of noise. Probably wouldn't bother anyone else. But seeing as I like my cabin to be squeak/rattle free, it had to be fixed. Removed the blower from under the glove box and gave it a light oiling. A small amount of coaxing and tweeking but it's still too noisy for me. Better find a new one then.

Finally re-fitted the Sony stereo that came with the car. It's a better unit than the one I was used to,. Along with the fact that it doesn't stick out like a silver sore thumb anymore. Just needed the power switching around so that it didn't lose all its radio presets. Was a bit of a faff but I took my time and it worked out well.

As most of you know. A usual rusty grot spot is under/around the rear number plate light. The old boot was no exception. But the new one was pretty good. To try and "nip in the bud" and future tin worm, I cleaned up the small amount of rust there was (around the bolt holes), and gave it a little brush with Zinga. I'll paint it in a couple of weeks when it's a bit warmer (he says hopefully). The last step was to replace the light housing/cover. Problem was that the black foam seal was well past it. rock hard and crusted up with rust/old paint I thought I'd better get a new one.

looking closely at the old one, I thought "Hey, I can make one of those". So I obtained some black foam and set to work. Using the old one as a template.

Fitted it up and it's all looking really good.

To top it off, gave the eight valve a quick clean and super res polish. Ready to be thrust back into duty on Monday morning.

All in all a very productive weekend. Finished just in time for me to put my feet up with a nice ale and a couple of LPs.

Top job james, ill drop mine off when im next home to have all the little/ not so little jobs that need doin. will probably winter again before i get time to spend any time on it :-(

been keepin my eye out for an 8v but they all seem to be many many moons away or look like they have been dragged from the bottom of the sea (just like the one i already have!)

been keepin my eye out for an 8v but they all seem to be many many moons away or look like they have been dragged from the bottom of the sea (just like the one i already have!)

Hey there stranger. Hope you're well ?

I'll keep my eye out for an eight valve if you like. I always like to keep a look out for a potential low mileage example replacement, but as you say, they're either dog rough or the other side of the world.

Spotted a red one a while ago. Just not keen on standard red. But I did see nice a one lady owner "Ice grey violet" some months back on the Autotrader. Down side it was on the south coast and a similar mileage on the clock as mine.

There's got to be a good one left somewhere ?

Give me a shout when you're about for brews etc.

Give me a shout when you're about for brews etc.

hard to get home, i sold the polo and using the girlfriends megan convertable (watch out micheal barrymore!) and works piece of crap ranger pick up when i need to. got loads of work on now so iv got the money to sort it but not the time, could do with bringing it up hear to work on but hey ho. ill pop round for a brew and inspect the workmanship next time im home, maybe it will inspire me to pull my finger out and get some track days booked!

i sold the polo!

You did hhwwaaahttt ?

Ahh well you must have your reasons. Guess someone else will get the benefit of the Genesis.

Only just noticed your post from 21st Feb. 16v doing great thanks. MOT coming up in June and going to be getting a bit of work done but its just little bits here and there at the moment (mainly my wiring loom melting, my own fault as accidentally trapped a wire under my battery) but all fixed. Getting a bit more adventurous with the jobs we try now. Would never have touched electrics a year ago.

The 8v looks better and better with every post. I do miss the Sherry Pearl :)

And is it the Sony Explode cd player you have put back in? I thought it went well with the grey interior (was also my 21st birthday present :))

And is it the Sony Explode cd player you have put back in? I thought it went well with the grey interior (was also my 21st birthday present :))

That's the puppy. I agree, it compliments the interior very well indeed and has a very good quality output. Downloaded a wiring diagram from the net. Looked like the terminals behind the stereo needed shuffleing around to be constant live.

Stuck my old JVC unit in ( which is neither up to much or looks right) when I bought the car from you.

Another of those jobs that dropped down the list !!!

Talking of jobs. Still need to :

Replace a couple of ABS sensors.

Change the front splitter.

Put the original springs back on.

Buy tyres and change the wheels over.

It never ends does it.

Good to hear you're tackling some more involved jobs Jake. That's the only way to keep older cars on the road, if enthusiasts roll their sleeves up. Still, you're only a young lad (unlike this old plodder) so there's loads of time for you to learn new skills.

You making it to any shows this year ?

Edited by James.

You making it to any shows this year ?

Hopefully going to make it to Ultimate dubs this Sunday. Bens gutted he cant take the VR to its first show as he forgot and sent his steering wheel to be refurbed :lol: Went to Dub Freeze in Stafford few weeks back to find we were the only Corrado's outside (Always the same)

Well the lowered 8v lasted about five months. What with the dozen or so tall speed bumps on the road into school, I'd already destroyed a front splitter and was sick of all the chelsea tractor/eurobox drivers hurtling up behind me, when I slowed down.

Put the original springs on yesterday, with the intention to replace the tired front struts in a few weeks, along with the new wheels and tyres. But sweet lord I forgot how comfortable it was before.

On an other side, I managed to replace the rear spoiler mounting brackets that had snapped when I removed them. The gentleman breaker that is StueyB, fixed me up good and proper, and now water is a little less keen on finding its way into my boot. I used to hate working on the spoiler mechanism, but I've rebuilt it so often that it's not quite as bad now. There's no way I'll say it's easy, as it's a real awkward pig dog of a job. But let's just say it doesn't fill me with un-holy dread like it once did.

On the upgrade front, I strode man-fully into the house yesterday, proclaiming ( to those who care to listen ) that "My car is buzzing" !

Yes we think your car is whizzer as well James, the less than enthusiastic room replied.

No no no, You mis-understand my proclamation. I've fitted a lights on buzzer !

No longer shall I fear returning to said automotive device, caught between the fear/jubilation paradox of a "did I switch my lights off before I left the car".

The buzzer is only a cheapy. Procured from I know not where, but installed with fervour into the door opening and light switch.

The last buzzer I installed, I wired into the interior light. But due to technical restrictions and the lack of work ethic, I plumped for the door.

I'd prefer to pong. But I long since discovered Old spice.

Superb read as ever and totally agree the standard springs are marvellous coupled with bilstein B4 dampers they are quite sureal :)

standard springs are marvellous coupled with bilstein B4 dampers they are quite sureal :)

I'd read somewhere about you waxing lyrical about b4 dampers Paul. I was going to stay OE (boge/sachs). But if they're as good as you say, I may jump ship.

I'll probably change my mind another half dozen times before I buy anything though. I'm a rotter for that.

Thanks once again, James

Well, the past couple of days have been really productive.

Started off on Sunday morning with the removal of the starter motor. What with there being bags of space under the bonnet, removal was pretty straight forward.

Popped the old thing on the worktop for an inspection. The starter had the mis-fortune of suffering from the popular complaint of fizzing a little on the over run.

The shaft and gear was caked in dust and dry as Dubai. A wafting of grease and a swift replacement (had a football match fifteen minutes later) and when prompted into life the fizz was no more. Hopefully it'll stay that way. It has done so far.

For the past few months I've been running with the ABS light on. Not by choice I might add. Simply that when I went to plug vag com in a while back, I had the bad luck of putting the lap top down whilst the scan took place. Closing the lid with a pen on the keys. The colour drained out of it quicker than a Wiganers face, when it was recently announced that 20% was being added to the price of a pie.

Had to go the long way round in the end. Broke out the multimeter and tested the resistance on the sensors. They all read the same, with the exception of the rear left. Decided to plump for an "ebay special" in the end. £20 delivered.

On the day that my drive resembled a scene from the Wizard of Oz I plumped for installation. Much swearing ensued as first the ABS bolt rounded, then followed by scraped knuckles as the caliper bolts were less than co-operative.

Once removed, it was almost instantly noticeable that the cable had been caught between body and rear subframe. Squashing it to the gauge of a cigarette paper.

Cleaned the entrance to the car with jenolite and Zinga to prevent further rust and guided the cable properly.

Fired up the car and the ABS light gives me a wink, before shuffling off till the next time.

Last but not at all least was the main event. The new shoes. The condition of them when they arrived into my ownership was not bad. The curbing on a couple of them wasn't great. But for the purpose of the car, it would have been live-able, if not acceptable.

Because I'm running the car on a budget, I decided to opt for the "home brew" equivalent of wheel refinishing. Two cans of Mercedes Benz "Brilliant Silver" and three cans of clear lacquer.

I'm very happy with the result. It's not "factory", but neither was the cost. And to be honest, the finish matches the rest of the cars finish: "Fair to middling".

Ordered up a set of Kumho KH31 tyres (Have KU31 on the VR6 and am very happy with them) from Camskill (awesome prices and customer service by the way) on Friday and had them stretched over this morning.

Finally finished up at about six-ish. Ready to slip into the warmer surroundings of the indoors. Soaked my aching bones (really must pack in Sunday league) in the bath with a cold beer and Nick Drake "Pink Moon" wafting from the turntable.

And that's where we are as of now. The 15" Westwoods will be changing hands to their new home in the morning. Ready for a new life in the Lake district.

Just need a John Deere badge to replace the VW roundall now !

James your posts amuse me!

Cars looking great and very clean in those piccies! Liking the 90's styling wheels to.