mr lobitos

testing cooling fan

went out for a good drive yesterday,enjoyed it.anyway when i got back car was hotter than it should it and the system quite pressured,mine has a black cap on expansion tank so have ordered blue one.question is,is there a way of checking that the fan is working and kicking in when it gets to temp (what temp is that?),without letting it just tick over on drive.also there is only one fan ,my old vr had two is that ok,thanks for the help

to test the fan, wire it directly to the battery :D

to test the switch, heat it in some hot water and use a multimeter to see what values you get across the pins and at what temperatures.

unwrapped all the tape and tested fan direct to battery,thats working ok, haven't got multimeter so will order new switch and blue cap,is the fan wired into plug correctly and is there a tidier way (see pic)

plugg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

also oil warning lamp on dash is flashing when you come to standstill after a decent run,ok when driving,connected or another issue

the joys of corrado ownership

Edited by mr lobitos

any advice,can you get a rad switch which kicks in at lower temp or should i just wire fan to a switch,i only do short trips and don't know if fan is kicking in,cheers

This link will take you to the definative Vr6 cooling guide. Which will give you the temp as to when the fans should kick in.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?38925-The-definitive-VR6-cooling-guide&highlight=vr6+cooling+guide

from the guide it says that the fan should kick in at 92degrees. Cant you leave the engine running and keep an eye on the coolant temp on your dash till it hits 92degrees the fan should then kick in.

The dash dial gauges are wildly inaccurate on older VW's. Thought my Stage I had failed recently with bringing it out of storage and running at 110'C water / 102'C oil temp. The fans hadn't kicked in until these readings on the dash dial/LCD.

Stuck a paper clip down the Stage I wire (red/white stripe) in the back of the fan motor connection and using a DVM. Low and behold, the fan repeatedly coming on at the above temps was Stage I.

The engine did/does not feel hot with the bonnet lifted so I conclude the dash water temp gauge is reading about 10'C - 15'C high.

Fresh tank of petrol and within 10 miles, the engine temps had dropped 6'C - 10'C generally. And it took longer for the Stage I fan to come on as it used to. Stored petrol ain't what it used to be (6 months storage).