jamiehol

VR6 fueling problem when hot

I have got an annoying issue with my VR6 track car, when the car has come in after a session and it is hot, if left to idle aftre a couple of minutes it starts to stutter and will die if you try opening the throttle it makes no difference.

It has been like this on and off for a while now, so far I have replaced the rubber fules hoses to the fuel rail as someone had messed with the rubber hose to rigid line connections and the one was loose so replaced the hose and some proper fuel hose clips. i also replaced the fuel filter at the same time.

One thing I noted today is that the fuel pump does seem a little noisy, now the pump, injectors and FPR are teh only things I haven't touched as yet but I think I may get the pump out and may be replace it as after all it has done 152k.

Also does anyone know which connection is feed and return on the fuel rail.

Thanks,

Jamie.

So I managed to remove the fuel pump this evening, I noticed that the pump itself is in the centre of a larger cylinder I assume the alrger cylinder is a swirl pot but would be nice if someone could confirm that.

The pump at the top appeared to be attached to the larger cylinder via a rubber membrane and it also appears at some point in the past it was attached in a similar manner at the bottom however the rubber at the bottom is perished.

If the large tube is a swirl pot then I assume the rubber seals are quite important, and would expect whay sometimes when the fuel gets to around a quarter of a tank it stutters when going hard round a corner, but i can't see hwo it affects it when the engine is hot at idle.

Any confiramtion of my points or thoughts would be good, or any other things to check as to why when the engine and the ambient temprature is hot the car won't idle.