rickdonald

Fitting 17" Speedline (now with Pictures)

Hi, need a little help, i have tried searching but more than anything just need some clarification. I just got a set of 17" speedline wheels off ebay

just need a little advice on how to fit them, the advert says offset of ET48 so to get back to the VR6 offset i'd need 5mm spacers? to bring it back to ET43? is that right? or will I need more like 10-15 to make up for the wider tires?

The only other thing that's worrying me a bit is the centre bore diameter, there wasn't really any info on the size so i don't know what to think?

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks Rick

Edited by rickdonald
Change to title and addition of new pictures

I saw them and didnt buy them because of the concerns you raise. They should sit ok on the car, standard is ET43 on a 6.5in wheel. Centrebore could be an issue as Subaru is smaller. Maybe get some spacers that fit the VW hub with a hubcentric bit for these wheels to sit on. 10-15mm will be fine.

Just offered them up to the car, the centre-bores are about 60mm so there are no problems there, will maybe need some spigot rings to bring it back to 57.1, also the bolt holes are the right size for M14's. But looks like I'm going to need some spacers, the front catch on the brake carriers, and on the rear the dust cap for the bearing pushes through the wheel centre caps. So I'm on the look out for a pair of 10mm spacers for the front and 15mm for the rear I think, and some longer bolts

Sounds like a simple fix for some ice looking alloys, be intrested to see the results, will you stick a piccie up when sorted?

Right, after fitting the wheels last weekend I decided to get some spacers, however when looking for hubcentric ones that would fit over the 12mm spigot on the rear hubs I (foolishly) decided to go for 20mm thick ones.....FRONT AND BACK! (friends joke) to try and keep the track difference the same. But now after trying to fit them tonight I realised I have gone a bit overboard, the fronts are rubbing quite badly pretty much all the time, and im not sure whats the best thing to do. My thoughts so far are:

1) Try and swap the spacers for a 10mm set for front and 15mm set on the rear (if they will go over the spigot on the rear hub) then hope the 10mm difference on the front will be enough

2) Try and get a refund for the spacers, and get a 5mm set for the front and 5mm set for the rear. neither of which will be hub-centric, rear should be fine because of the deep hub spigot, but the fronts I'm not sure

3) Do the sensible thing and give up, try and get my money back on the spacers and sell the wheels, and just replace the tires on my 15" speedlines which was the whole starting point! :scratch:

Can anyone offer some opinions?

General pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47123[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]47121[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]47126[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]47122[/ATTACH]

Front wheel and the gap to arch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47124[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]47127[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]47119[/ATTACH]

Rear wheel and gap to arch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47125[/ATTACH]

(Excuse the poor pictures, I'm about as good at being a photographer as I am choosing the size of spacers!)

Cheers

Rick

4. use narrower tyres so they stretch more. may give you enough clearance.

From the looks, the wheel sit about right. are the arches rolled?

Ha, I wish that was an option, but at the moment I haven't really got the money. I was thinking of putting some 205's on it when they need renewing but I still think it will rub.

I'm thinking now of trying some 10mm or maybe 8mm spacers if I can return the 20mm ones. But am I right in thinking because of the size/depth of the hub spigots (about 14mm deep on rear, and 13mm on front) it means that I cant use hub-centric ones because the centre bore on the spacer wont slide all the way over the hub spigot? So I'll have to get non-hub-centric ones? does that sound about right?

No don't think they have been rolled, was contemplating having to take the front arch liners out, but they won't even clear the arch lip as try are so think reducing the spacers is probably my best option

Edited by rickdonald

Right need a little more advice please anyone, I got some spacers delivered direct from FK yesterday, after ordering 2 pairs of 10mm spacers, but I fell into the trap of them meaning the whole track is spaced by 10mm, so I have 5mm spacers instead. Anyway I tried fitting them and they just clear the brake carriers, like 1mm in it, if that.

So now I'm not sure what to do, whether to try and send the spacers back all the way to Germany and get some 10mm ones, or to just stick with 5mm for now and have to buy shorter bolts because the ones I have were for 10mm spacers.

Any suggestions and opinions would be really appreciated

Cheers Rick

Yer they are standard (for now). Have spoken to a few places at work and i think im going to head across to Venom and see if they will sell me a set of 8mm ones and if they will give me a discount and take the 5mm ones off my hand, dont want to push them out any further than 10mm, and closer to standard offset the better, so I think 8mm might be a good compromise, plus I dont have to fuss sending the bolts back. Also was a bit concerned with the lack of clearence inside the arch when going towards lock, was close while the car was parked and the last thing I want is any rubbing.

Thanks for the comments though mate, been a real help with this! cant belive how much of an ar*e its been so far! just want to get them on because they have been sat in my shed the last 3 weeks!

Still cant get them to fit! Had them on again this weekend with 8mm spacers, but they are still rubbing on the front, if I go into a corner a bit quick, or over a speed bump. I even took the arch liners out, but its still just catching on the arch lip, and I don’t really want to run without the liners permanently. My last bit of hope is my car is going in to get the bump stops changed and also some new spring caps fitted, to the later ones, which are about 10 or 15mm taller than the ones currently on it, (need to change them as the diameter isn’t large enough and they keep slipping through the spring). So hopefully it should raise my car just a bit, and hopefully stop them from rubbing.

After this I’m all out of ideas, really don’t want to be cutting into the wing, and I cant really afford to put some 205s on them.

Anyone any ideas?

Also still a bit reluctant because I think I’m going to wish id of stayed with the standard 15s too, mainly because of handling and also maybe that they look a little on the large side for the car, but I’m not sure if that’s just because I’m use to 15s? once again any opinions? Will try and get the later pictures up when I get home.

Cheers

I have just gone from 205/40/17 to 205/45/16 and think the wheels look small in comparison, so I guess its just what you get used to seeing.

As far as I can see your only option is to get the arches rolled if you want to stick with those tyres.

Looks wise I think they look a lot better, 15s are a bit lost on Corrados IMO. But ride quality will be much worse in comparison, hence the reason for my change. I do however get way less feedback from the road now, but the noise/comfort improvements make up for that. Horses for courses. Depends how you want the car to drive.

your spigot arrangement sounds unusual. the spigot rings i've seen on big ben's car previously for example didnt space the wheel at all, they were literally just a ring around the centre bore (ie. these) to allow the wheel to hub-locate properly. the wheel still went up against the hub(disc) face. if yours are effectively spacing spigot adaptors bolting to the hub then I wouldnt have thought its a very good idea to use a 2nd set of spacers on top of that. thats purely a safety line of thinking though.

if you've got a spigot arrangement that's spacing the wheel out by 13mm and then adding an 8mm spacer on top then thats an offset decrease to ET27. with a 7" wheel that's getting close to the limit but would probably just work (it gives you 22mm extra poke over normal speedlines). but your car looks pretty low which is probably the biggest issue and if you havent got any stretch on the tyres then that will compound things. what size are the current tyres anyway?

anyway, a combined spigot/spacement of 10-15mm and 205 width tyres is probably what you're after.

Edited by dukest

Dukest, sorry it's my bad explanation, when I refer to the hub spigot I mean the centralising spigot that is on the original hub, these are 13mm long, I have now just got 8mm spacers with a centre bore of 57.1 which sit over these against the hub/disc face. So I'm left with 5mm of the hub spigot to centre the wheels when mounting, an the wheel face sits directly onto the 8mm spacer. The wheels are et 48 and with the 8mm spacers the offset now is 40mm. Is that explained any better? At the moment I have just got some 195/50/15s on it. Yer I think it is abit on the low side, not complainig though.

"vr6 gar" I am a little reluctant to get the arches rolled because as soon as the arch liner goes back in I will have the same problem. I think I'm going to have to see if these spring plates help matters any. And maybe have a go at rolling the arch lip a little. Anyone any experience of it, as far as I'm aware the biggest concern is just crackin the paint?

Either that or drive very conservatively till I can replace the fronts for 205 tires and hope that solves it, think it would still be very close though!

Cheers guys

Edited by rickdonald

give up and sell them to me ;-)

Ha getting ever closer mate, feel if I don't make the effort now though i will be kicking myself later!

How is it without spacers, do they clear your suspension

Yer they are fine with the suspension, just the front calliper carriers, needed at least 5mm spacers, but the wheels where still really close to the carriers. So i thought it a safer bet to change to 8mm

Its simply the tyres that are the issues but machining a couple more mm of the spacer sounds like a plan. The size and offset of the wheels shouldn't be an issue

Some more pictures from fitting them the other day. really like the way they look, just annoying how its so close to not rubbing, but still does!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47494[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47492[/ATTACH]

those pictures dont look nearly as tight as before so yes, you must be nearly there. when you say 195/50/15 that must be on your old wheels right? i meant the tyres on these wheels, are they 215/40/17?

i'm still not sure all is as it seems as ET40 on a 7" wheel should be more than fine but still. also, you say its just rubbing at the front now? although the pics arent flat on from the side, it still looks like you could raise the front a tiny bit without unbalancing the look? that might do it?

Sorry yes they are 215/40/17. I know that's what I cant work out, from hearing other peoples set ups they have 8" wheels with a 40 offset and don't have any problems. I think as you say the issue is how low it is, but there isn't much I can do because its just an FK suspension kit, (not coil-overs) so I cant really higher it, apart form this little increase I'm going to get from the new spring caps, hopefully hopefully hopefully...it will be enough.

They have only rubbed on the front, and its always just on the edge of the arch liner (guessing when I go over a bump with the wheels straight) or on the arch lip (when i'm going round corners and the car rolls slightly) don't think it will rub at the rear because its a bit higher, but looks like it would be well within the arch anyway. I think if its still not happening with the new spring caps I may have to have a go at getting the arches rolled, and

try to trim the arch liners to sit higher in the wing.

Edited by rickdonald

It really is just the tyres, too wide and too big a rolling radius, be fine on 205s