fishmaestro

Wheel Noise Front Right

Seem to have a consistent noise coming from the front right wheel. The sound is metallic but not bearing like. The noise stops as soon as the brakes are applied. I removed the wheel to inspect and noticed the countersunk screw for the disc has sheared off. Will this screw cause the disc to move causing the noise or is that screw just for guidance. If not any clues, was thinking warped disc or pad rubbing?

No, once the wheel is bolted on the disc is held tightly.

The disc could be warped, or it could be the ABS rotor catching on something, or corrosion on the disc catching the pad, or something else related to the rotational components of the braking system.

Thanks for the reply.

The disc is fairly new but i think it warrants being replaced as the first exclusion, then go from there I guess. I'll post again if I dont get anywhere or find anything of interest.

Cheers

Mike

If the disc is warped you will feel it through the pedal and any noise would be intermittent on-off-on-off etc.

Check the caliper slider pins are clean and shiny - if the caliper is not free to move back after application the pad may just be touching the disc making a light grating noise; as soon as you touch the brake pedal there is a proper pressure on the disc and the noise stops.

Best wishes

RB

Ok thanks for the advice,

The other noticeable feature of this fault is vibration the the steering wheel when braking so I don't know if this is related or helps with any diagnosis.

Mike

Yep... would say that sounds very much like a warped disc!