James.

8V Alternator and belt fitting

Took the alternator off for a rebuild. Replaced the bracket and went to re-fit the alternator. Can I get the belt back on ? Not a chance. I've compressed the spring underneath by even going as far as standing on it but still the belt won't go on.

Could some kind soul please enlighten your dear author as to the best solution. I'm feeling somewhat deflated by a job that shouldn't take more than half an hour.

PS: Which Haynes (or similar) does everyone buy to cover the ADY engine ?

Thanks in advance

James

It's a pita but I did mine by standing on it too :lol: ideally with a helper to slip the belt edge on

Thanks for the reply chaps. Thought as much about standing on it as it seemed the only possible solution. Will try the crow bar on it as well and report back with the outcome.

How about a service manual for ADY ? Haynes Vento/Golf ?

I used a small lever when doing the auxillary belt on the TDi (back when it was an 8V). Went on a piece of cake.

Mk3 Golf GTi Haynes manual is the best, covers the important oily bits (engine/transmission etc).

I've now spent the last three nights trying to get the belt on.

So I've packed it in.

I've tried standing on it, levering it between the alt and bracket, tried the old broken bracket, removed the spring and generally pushed, pulled, filed, swore and given it a right good telling off.

Still won't go on.

It's about 5mm short of going on. I really don't know how they got it on before but maybe this helps explain the broken/bodged alternator bracket.

The only thing I can think of is that the belt is the wrong one and too small.

Off to VW to get a genuine one and hopefully put this story to bed.

I'll keep the thread updated with an outcome.

go to ECP, cheaper and genuine contitech belts, about 12 quid IIRC

mine was the same length as the original on the car (held them side by side), but a little tighter to get on

while you are at it check the pulleys are all parallel, especially the PAS one, once I shimmed these straight everything ran so much quieter.

Too late, but thanks all the same David. £17 from VW so not too bad. I really don't know what to do if the belt is the same size. The alt is fully compressed and touching the bracket metal to metal. I'll wait till the belt arrives before commenting further.

Thanks once again, James.

Belt should be 6PK895

Is the alternator genuine James? I've seen pattern ones come with the wrong size pulley...

Edited by Supercharged

Yeah, it's a Bosch/VW unit so no fear there.

I've thought of something, so will report back when I've checked it out.

A minor success this morning. Looped the belt over the alt pulley and then wrestled it into place (as opposed to fitting the belt last). But had to use a pry bar to keep the tension in the belt as I just couldn't get the alt to fit with the spring in place.

May chop a spare spring I have down to put my mind at rest.

New bolts and belts coming on Tuesday so we'll see if that improves fitment a little.

Just to confirm...you've definitely got the alternator pushed down into the correct mounting lugs on the alternator bracket? It's relatively easy for the alternator to be quite a tight fit onto the alternator bracket, meaning that you *think* its fitted correctly but in actual fact it isn't located onto the lugs properly. The bolts will even go through the bracket on the alternator making it feel like its all fitted properly when in actual fact its not.

I tend to move the bush in the alternator mounting lug outwards by about 1mm making it much easier to fit the alternator into its bracket, once its mounted properly and correctly torqued up the bush moves back into its original position making it a snug fit.

I hope that makes sense!

It does. I was under the impression that it was a press fit bush that wouldn't move, but will give that a go when all the bits turn up on Tuesday. Cheers Tom

Bad news is that the car won't fire up. The engine turns over. I've checked that the engine's getting fuel. Tried a new 67 relay along with a host of other basic checks. Just not tried changing the ecu relay. Really frustrating as I thought I'd cured one problem and then another pops up.

Grrrr...

Edited by James.