jeth1979

yet another 2.0 16v start problem for you all!!! sorted

morning peeps, my first post here so lets hope i can get to bottom of it!! ive tried to keep it simple and precise so here goes.......

basically, i have a "very random" problem that has just started on my corrado 20 16v. its a 1994 m plate jobbie. it has leather/aircon/immobiliser/alarm..so guess its a higher spec one? just needs the engine ;-)

anyway, back to the problem. after having the car sail through the mot last week, i tried to start the car on saturday but no joy!!! heres what ive tested for so far..

1.spark= yes, power into coil, and sparks on all 4 plugs.

2.fuel pump= the pump under car is getting power but it doesn"t prime....??not sure if its meant to?? i have replaced the pump and fuel filter on the car about 2 months ago.i"m not sure the car has a lift pump in the tank, as colbornes told me "no, only the vr6"s do*......

3.fuel pump relay= again ive replaced it, but am unsure of what numbers to bridge/test so any halp appreciated..im guessing this sends information back to the ecu?

4. fuel=the car has a quarter of a tank of gas.. however, i did remove all plugs, poured a small amount of petrol in the chambers and bang it did run for a couple of seconds then died again.....as can be expected with no continous fuel delivery....

5.lastly, when i inherited this car the ecu had blown(no power to pump and no spark. i replaced it with the same ecu and bingo it was fine. this like for like ecu was again only fitted 2 months ago so i"m hoping its not this..again, any advice on what numbers/how to test it would be extremely appreciated...

although this may not be relevant to this thread i would just like to mention it..when i saved this car from the banger boys, the previous ecu had blown . the reason it had gone was water damage(scale all over it)..this was due to the scuttle drain holes being clogged and the water sitting/leaking onto the ecu..do corrados have a full length scuttle cover like a mk2 golf,or just that little small bit of plastic on the right hand side(that actually covers pollen filter/heater box), as one thing has just hit my whilst i was writing this post....we had alot of rain mid week last week and perhaps the ecu has got damaged again???

any help and advice would be extremely appreciated, as come the end of the month i was going to tax her up ready for the road..once the car has proved its worth im hoping to go down the 1.8t route but thats another story!!!!!

many thanks again everyone, even if your as stumped as i am!!!

Edited by jeth1979
problem solved

take the relay out, disconnect the battery, pull the injectors out and point into bottles, take the metering head off the airbox and prop the air plate open slightly, then bridge the two big relay pin holes on the fuseboard with a length of wire with a male spade connector on either end and use the battery negative lead as an on/off switch.

this is a basic way of checking injector spray patterns and flow rates but will obviosly also show if fuel is getting to the metering head at an adequate pressure, does sound like your pump is goosed though.

my injector test thread:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?43319-my-testing-the-injectors-on-a-KR-(K-jet)-16v&highlight=injectors

hey thanks for the reply david, as it goes your right,lol....i have just spent the last couple of hours re tracing my footsteps and yes indeed i think the "brand new* fuel pump has packed up!!!! i did what you suggested and no, no fuel up there!! after putting some more petrol in the car and putting everything back together, i then started at the back of the car and unlike what i was told, there IS a lift pump.!!!! i then tested this by removing the flow pipe and turning ignition on + off, sure as eggs are eggs there was petrol!!!!!.. i shall update this thread tomorrow as i have rung euro car parts and as i have the receipt they are going to exchange it!!! also worth mentioning that the faulty new pump was getting rather hot though, so im guessing its screwed!!!!!heat and petrol dont go well together :-/ hopefully this is just a freak thing and won"t be happening again!!!

yay, right well ive got the car sorted, turns out the new fuel pump (which has covered 1.7 miles) has packed up!!! although i should be happy that the car is now running again, i am slightly concerned and shall probably start another thread up, as im wondering...could the pump of been knocked out/knackered by something else?? anyway thanks for the help chap, some sound advice there...

I don't think it would be enough to damage a pump, but has the fuel filter been changed recently, only a tenner or so. Apparently if the lift pump dies it will strain and eventually kill the main pump, but they usually run very noisily first and I think from what you've said you've ruled that out, might just be a bad part, ecp don't always stock the best quality stuff, especially if It's recon.

hi all. i have to mention this as to put an end to this saga and hopefully spread the knowledge with anyone else with the same problems..if you've already gone through this thread you will notice that ive had a problem with the main fuel pump..anyway to cut a long story short....i replaced the under car fuel pump and then within 1.4 miles it had packed up!! i got it replaced and this new one worked for a few weeks...however, i kept noticing/feeling that on full power the car was holding back on the fuel, and sometimes when i went round corners the car would cut out and the main pump was noiser than usual... i finally checked the fuel tank and found/examined the lift pump(even though i was told by some there wasn"t one!)...here is where the problem lied.... . when i pulled the old lift pump off of the fuel line i noticed blockage in the petrol pipe!!!! this blockage was caused by the black silicone/mastic stuff that vw had used..try not to get this on your hands as white spirit doen"t even shift it!!! as i went round the corners it obviously moved in the pipe and starved the main fuel pump.. i believe now(6months later,lol) that this is the reason the new pump went down after just 1.4 miles!!!!! i just want to end this thread by saying that my main pump cost me around £125 to replace, the lift pump that was starving it of fuel only costs £24 off of ebay!!! the car has been running sweeter than ever for the last few months since replacing it!!!!