hawwy

how to use wheel adaptors WHAT BOLTS? WITH PICS

hi

ive got some wheels with wheel adaptors, to change from 5x112 to 5x100

i was wondering how do i use them? what kind of bolts do i need etc?

cheers

yes ive got the wheels they are bbs wheels

i understand that , but i dont have bolts to bolt adaptors to hub, what type of bolts are required

Depends if the holes in the wheel adaptors have tapered or flat holes but normal wheel bolts will do to hold the adaptor on

Your best bet will be to measure the length of bolt you will need then take it to a local tyre place if your not sure im sure they will point you in the right direction

so on the adaptor the bigger hole is where i bolt it to hub , and the threaded hole is what i bolt wheel on to?

That is correct. Drop one of the original wheel bolts that you have through the adapter and see how much of the threaded part of the bolt sticks out. Ideally you would like to see approx. 12mm of threads. If you can see 12mm of threads then that length of bolt is ideal, if not then you will need to source longer bolts. The next question is whether the wheel bolt will suit the adapter. Wheel bolts come in two types. Some have a taper at the base of the head where it meets the threads and some have a radiused (semi circular) base to the head. To further complicate matters some adapters use a standard type of bolt with no taper or radius. Have a close look down one of the bolt holes on the adapter and you should be able to work out which type of bolt you require from the shape of the base of the bolt hole. I'm guessing that you are fitting the wheels to a VW and if this is the case the standard wheel bolts will have a radiused seat. If the adapters have tapered or flat seats then you will need to source a set of suitable bolts. Once you have the correct bolts, simply bolt the adapters to the hub and then bolt the wheels to the adapter. Again make sure that the bolts are the correct ones for the wheels as the bolt holes on the wheel may require tapered or radiused bolts. If you do need to source new bolts the size that you will require is M14x1.5

Edited by leon263

can you please tell me what bolts i will be needing?

heres the adaptors

img0664ag.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here the hole to bolt to hub, what bolt needed?

img0666aj.jpg

and heres the wheels what bolts are needed? they are call bbs RM

img0667af.jpg

img0669al.jpg

img0672a.jpg

thank you

It is virtually impossible to tell from those photos. See if there is a manufacturers name on the adapters. They could well be by FK which is probably the most common make. If they are FK they will require tapered bolts. The BBS wheels look as if they may need radiused bolts but again it is impossible to be sure. You should be able to tell the type of bolt required by close examination of the bolt holes in the adapters and wheels.. If you are not confident enough to make the call, take the adapters and wheels into your local wheel shop or tyre depot and they'll keep you right.