owen g60

1992 G60 Dials issue

First issue!!!!

Speedo, Rev counter, Clock and mileage counter (now has distorted display) decided to stop working last night.

They're DDI Digital ones....

Have checked sensors in the engine bay.... No loose connections.... Any suggestions

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Have just taken it out again.... noticed the spoiler doesnt lift either

Temp and fuel gauge are fine.

Have disconnected and re connected the loom to the dials... Now have no odometer.

Disconnected and re connected battery clock etc now shows random digits

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Have also checked earth point on drivers a pillar to no avail

speedo goes up to 20 mph now.... although some times i have been going a lot faster.... have oil warning and temp warning lights on now....

one of the components is failing on the back of your instrustment display,MFA unit probably

hmmmm..... what would you recommend... new clocks or pull these ones apart and replace whatever is broken??

i was looking at the wiring diagram and the MFA display/processer is the common to all the problems your having or attached wiring.Not sure if you can remove it,think its part of the printed circuit.

at first i thought it could be a diode but you said fuel guage is working

im hopefully going to dive deeper into the problem tomorrow........... if i cannot solve it which clocks will fit the car.... does it have to be ones from a G60??

think so,the vacuum sensor on the back works different to the other displays im led to believe.Theres a few small differences between displays but not 100% sure you can use others. Ask some of the other guys,they might be able answer that.

well i have found a set on ebay for £40... could always switch the dials so i still have the DDI facia on them i suppose... hopefully my brain will cooperate and find the issue.

Just seems odd that it all fell over together within the blink of an eye

I have had near enough the whole driver side of the dash apart.... on looking at the earth point on the a pillar there is a red and a black cable both going to one earth point.

The red wire is broken and i cannot see the bit that has broken off..... can anybody remember if the common earth for the speedo and rev counter was red??? and if the fuel/temp gauge was black.

would explain why i get random infor on the odo with temp and fuel working and no speedo/rev counter as the speedo and rev counter have a common earth and are linked to the MFA.

Thoughts/corrections to my theory please

which pin does that run from on the back of the clocks??? and where would be the easiest place to connect it to, so it has a constant live???

pin 11 on back of the display should be thin red wire goes to U2 on the back of the fuse/relay box

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

pin 11 display goes to pin 11 on U2 connetion on the fusebox

New clocks now fitted with old dials...

All now in working order thanks to Mk3-Damo for the new set at a reasonable price

Edited by owen g60