C5 OEM

Won`t start----sorted

Just took the car out, parked it up and when i came to start it it wouldn`t start..? ignition was on and alarm turning off and on but nothing../.?#

bump started it and no problem kicked in right away...?

any ideas..?

checked and cleaned the battery terminals

Edited by C5 OEM

Ignition switch possibly..? Presumably you could turn on the ignition and the lights all came on the dash, etc but when you came to turn the key to start the car nothing happened?

Ignition switch possibly..? Presumably you could turn on the ignition and the lights all came on the dash, etc but when you came to turn the key to start the car nothing happened?

thats right mate... so why does it bump start then..?

It would bump start because you are manually turning the engine over rather than using the starter motor which is controlled by the ignition switch. If that part of the switch was faulty you could still start it by bumping.

Sticky starter motor solenoid perhaps?

It would bump start because you are manually turning the engine over rather than using the starter motor which is controlled by the ignition switch. If that part of the switch was faulty you could still start it by bumping.

Sticky starter motor solenoid perhaps?

anyway of testing this..? so between the ignition barrel and the starter motor there is a fault then... best way of approaching this..?

check the small red wire that goes to the solenoid,lot of starter problems down to this wire coming loose or broken connection

check the small red wire that goes to the solenoid,lot of starter problems down to this wire coming loose or broken connection

just checked this, unplugged and cleaned

I often found the ignition switch would play up when weather was warmer (presumably the internals heating up expanding slightly) - no easy way to be sure it's to blame especially if it's an intermittent fault but they don't cost a lot and are a common fault so worth replacing anyway!

need to do bit of fault finding then

Check to see if your getting 12v to that wire with multimeter. you'll need someone to turn the ignition.

To see if the stater is working-be careful with this one

Get a small length of wire and bridge from the large postive on the starter to the small solenoid connection.starter should turn

Sounds like its deffo the ignition switch. I had the exact same thing with mine. Good look replacing it's a right bitch to get to the tiny screw that holds it in

Again this forum comes to the rescue, had a search for the ignition switch fault and read about turning the key really hard to the right when starting... it worked..!!

so new switch tomorrow then,..

thanks for all the help

You say that.. you haven't tried to get to that ******* retaining screw yet mate ;)

You say that.. you haven't tried to get to that ******* retaining screw yet mate ;)

oh yeh drivers seat out, on your back looking up at the stering cowling and thinking how the f*****g hell do i get that screw out, and then when you get it out and replace the switch you have to then get that chuffing screw back in, a truly hatefull job to do.

You can do it from the top! Takes 20 mins. Never understand why people go to all the trouble of taking the seat out etc. I use a small flat bladed screwdriver from on the side of that screw and tap it with a hammer to turn it anti-clockwise. Use a cable tie instead of refitting it ;)

yeh you can do it that way mate, but when i had to do one the screw head was rounded out and took me about 4 hours to do it.

Nightmare! It's supposed to be fairly loose from the factory- sounds like the previous owner buggered it up!

yeh big style, ended up getting some mettalik and wating for it to set so i could actually turn the bloody brass screw out.

About £26 from the dealer. Mine even had one on the shelf when I enquired last week.

Best of luck.