DANG60

removing abs

What are peoples views on this. I've read the threads previously on this but I am unsure. There is certainly a problem with mine as the abs light was on before I started to strip it. Also with some of the parts becoming obsolete and the car being a keeper is it a good idea to remove it whilst I am overhauling the car. I'm not sure if its a good idea or not though . Has anyone done it and did they find it beneficial ?

Depends on the year of registration. I'm sure it's compulsory for the MOT if the car is registered after a certain date?

Ah right I didn't know that, its a 95 car so about as late as they get really . Better look into that then before I do it. I just thought that if it was there it had to work but if its not there then all is good

Depends on the year of registration. I'm sure it's compulsory for the MOT if the car is registered after a certain date?

Are you talking model specific? If you are talking generally then there are plenty of cars without abs much newer than 1995. Our 2003 seat Ibiza for example

Are you talking model specific? If you are talking generally then there are plenty of cars without abs much newer than 1995. Our 2003 seat Ibiza for example

There is a cut-off year I think but I can't seem to find it. My google skills fail me.

But my understanding is that after a certain year (91 or 92 I think) then your car has to have a working ABS if it was originally supplied with one. In the case of a 1995 Corrado this would be the case for all models I believe. But if your car didn't originally have ABS then it can be removed.

I#m not 100% certain on the above but that is my understanding.

Hmm I will look into that chaps. Is there anyway of telling that its not working in terms of it passing an not? Small wiring mode could get round the issue of the light being on?

You could always upgrade to the later type Teves 20 ABS as fitted to the last of the Mk3 Golf GTi's/VR6 and Passat B4's. Fairly easy upgrade if you have the abs removed already, a tiny bit of wiring to do and it all works easily. I've done it to my TDi and its great. Also means you can remove the crappy rear brake compensator valve from the rear beam too.

Just a thought...

There is a cut-off year I think but I can't seem to find it. My google skills fail me.

But my understanding is that after a certain year (91 or 92 I think) then your car has to have a working ABS if it was originally supplied with one. In the case of a 1995 Corrado this would be the case for all models I believe. But if your car didn't originally have ABS then it can be removed.

I#m not 100% certain on the above but that is my understanding.

That makes more sense. I'm not sure of the facts surrounding this, so I can't comment. Our seat did not have abs fitted from the factory and thus is not a problem.

You could always upgrade to the later type Teves 20 ABS as fitted to the last of the Mk3 Golf GTi's/VR6 and Passat B4's. Fairly easy upgrade if you have the abs removed already, a tiny bit of wiring to do and it all works easily. I've done it to my TDi and its great. Also means you can remove the crappy rear brake compensator valve from the rear beam too.

Just a thought...

That's interesting I might have to look into that are the wiring moss fairly easy then?

Its very straightforward, the ABS loom is almost plug and play into the standard CE2 fusebox, but I found on my loom (which was from a Passat B4), power was drawn from a slightly different point on the fusebox. I used a wiring diagram to figure out which one it was and then simply spliced into that wire once I established it was safe. No problems and worked first time.

Cheers

Tom