boost monkey

The "R" engines

So I'm just doing some research into these engines, and they seem pretty good! The Golf R is the 2.0 TSI with 270ps, 250lbft and an extra urban mpg of over 40.

Is the next generation of swaps here?

I'm sure they'd suit the Corrado chassis beautifully but I suppose there are technical limitations to overcome (wiring, immobilisers) and cost of sourcing such engines..

quite a bit of fabbing to do- the mount is in the way of the turbo.the electrics are a nightmare to rewire so so the high pressure fuel system but it can be done and has been.

A friend has a Golf R and it does no where near 40mpg. He's had a V5 and a Mk5 GTi before it and this one has made him want a diesel next. Probably be much better in a Corrado though without all the weight of the Golf to lug about. The doors alone seem to weigh a ton when you open them!

I'm no expert but being around both chassis, there is lot to do. Engine central mount is front Corrado where as the Scirocco/Golf 6 is at the back. Getting the intercooler and Rad in. They are wide and tall.

Electrics will be a nightmare as all the controllers interchange data via the CANBUS. One missing and some things won't work. On mine, the DSG/Brakes/Engine are all one as a unit when it comes to data sharing plus the Central Electrics controller has a big finger in the pie as well. Manual maybe a little less.

Then there are all sorts of sensors around that have impact on how the car operates.

The R may be as bad looking at the VW workshop inforamtion.

Be interesting to see how it get solved by somebody but they are going to need a lot of know-how.

Edited by RW1

It can be done, but it is a ballache! There will probably be some stand alone management available in the near future, but that will compromise the fuel efficiency you talk of.

Lots of fabrication required and is not a challenge for someone who hasn't done a conversion before. A good knowledge of the vw parts catalogue and a friendly TPS or dealer are essential for this sort of conversion

RW1, there are aftermarket items you could probably use for the radiator and IC. I agree about the CANBUS though.

I guess it is the same for the last 2-3 generations of engines, it's just newer technology which doesn't particularly integrate well into an old chassis without a lot of additional work.

I guess it is the same for the last 2-3 generations of engines, it's just newer technology which doesn't particularly integrate well into an old chassis without a lot of additional work.

That was the thoughts I was having as I wrote above. As someone said, a lot more fabrication, a lot more parts as existing may not transfer from the donor car due to size etc, electrics technology has moved on from 12 volts to digial signals data bus and so on. So the "project" is much more than it used to be and knowhow has to be better.

The thing I'll say is the "R" engine isn't the newest generation..... its the previous generation to the present 2.0ltr GT 210bhp versions.