Alex_G60_Fanatic

Setting Idle speed on a g60?

got the car back from the MOT centre and the car Idles a little high (about 1150rpm)

So... I just want to double check the way of getting the idle set on the car (please correct me if i get it wrong!)

1. Get the car warm (80 degrees)
  2. disconnect the fan switch
  3. turn the screw on the back of the throttle body until 1000rpm +/- 50 rpm is achieved.

Is that it? Or does the ISV need to be disconnected too?

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

Thought it was like this........

- Pull the crank case breather off the black plastic box breather on the rocker cover.

- Engine oil at minimum of 80 degrees C.

- All switchable electrical loads off but the engine & rad. fan.

- Run the engine at idle until the rad. fan has kicked in once and stopped.

- With throttle closed, pull off the temp sensor between No.3 & 4 plugs.

(If it stalls at anytime, restart after reconnecting this coolant temp sensor connection. Otherwise the ECU will drop into "Emergency Mode" if restarted without the reconnection.)

- Check timing at 2,000 - 2,500rpm is 4 to 8 degrees BTC. Aiming to get 6 degrees BTC.

(Adjust if necessary to acheive with rotation of the dizzy)

- Raise engine speed in excess of 3000 RPM 3 times by quickly opening the throttle each time and snapping shut, then let idle. (Only perform this if you know your Supercharger is in good condition, this sort of blipping can blow a worn Supercharger. You have been warned!!!!!!!)

- Assuming CO % is correct..... (0.7% +/- 0.4% vol.). As with other VW's of this era, both CO/idle are adjusted together to get it absolutley right.

- Alter the idle with adjuster on throttle body. (800 rpm, +/- 50 rpm)

- Seal up CO if you used it

- Reconnect the coolant temp sender connection while the engine is still running and the rad. fan is not running.

- Raise engine speed in excess off 3,000 rpm 3 times by quickly opening the throttle each time and snapping shut, then let idle. (Only perform this if you know your Supercharger is in good condition, this sort of blipping can blow a worn Supercharger. You have been warned!!!!!!!)

- Check ISV is vibrating & buzzing.

- Engine ignition off.

- Reconnect the breather.

Edited by RW1

Thought it was like this........

- Pull the crank case breather off the black plastic box breather on the rocker cover.

- Engine oil at minimum of 80 degrees C.

- All switchable electrical loads off but the engine & rad. fan.

- Run the engine at idle until the rad. fan has kicked in once and stopped.

- With throttle closed, pull off the temp sensor between No.3 & 4 plugs.

(If it stalls at anytime, restart after reconnecting this coolant temp sensor connection. Otherwise the ECU will drop into "Emergency Mode" if restarted without the reconnection.)

- Check timing at 2,000 - 2,500rpm is 4 to 8 degrees BTC. Aiming to get 6 degrees BTC.

(Adjust if necessary to acheive with rotation of the dizzy)

- Assuming CO % is correct..... (0.7% +/- 0.4% vol.). As with other VW's of this era, both CO/idle are adjusted together to get it absolutley right.

- Alter the idle with adjuster on throttle body. (800 rpm, +/- 50 rpm)

- Seal up CO if you used it

- Reconnect the coolant temp sender connection while the engine is still running and the rad. fan is not running.

- Check ISV is vibrating & buzzing.

- Engine ignition off.

- Reconnect the breather.

WOW I'm Lost! :lol:

so...

a) the blue temp sensor between the 3rd and 4th spark plug?

b) Don't disconnect the rad switch!

c) I should really check the CO %

d) 800 rpm not 1000rpm.

I don't know how to measure the CO% (would the MOT centre have checked that for the MOT Test?)

and there isn't anyway of me checking the timing... although she runs ok. Not lumpy or anything

a) Yup, blue connector with two brown wires, one with yellow stripe, other with green stripe.

b) Nope.

c) Yes with CO analyser to do it. But as an interim, set the idle to 800 rpm and turn the CO until the engine jooost begins to drop rpm speed. Back off 1/16th of a turn. CO Set & 800 rpm idling still - job done.

d) 800 rpm.

Also added a bit in red text in the 1st post as its 8 years since I did one at the dealers educating the techies.

Edited by RW1