Joss_Durnan

VR6 Fuel Leak

This is the first real problem I've had with my Corrado. I noticed a strong smell of petrol on the way home yesterday, but didn't get a look at it until this morning. One of the hoses that runs between the engine and the air filter box has a pinprick hole in it, spraying fuel away from the engine. It took me a while to find the leak, it's pooling above the wheel arch rather than dripping through to the ground.

I'm more accustomed to the BMC A-Series engine, so the VR6 seems a bit like the Enterprise to me. Nevertheless I started pulling bits out to get a better look at the leak. In the attached picture, it's the hose in the centre, above the one with the blue stamps on it. I had a look around the forum to try and find somewhere that could supply a replacement, but haven't turned up much. I'm not even sure what the part's called, I guess it's just a fuel hose? Ideally I'd like to replace it with a genuine part. Can anyone suggest a decent supplier for me?

Cheers

you can buy replacement hoses from vw, look on the hose itself should have a part number on it, just done mine on my golf run around with standard3/8" fuel pipe hose which cost around £3.00, it just connects further down by the filter box, piece of cake to replace aswell,

Had the upper one fail on me not long ago, luckily i was able to get the end of it cut off and refit. I did enquire through my garage about getting a replacement, apparently you cany buy just the length in the engine bay but you have to buy the whole length from the filter i guess to the engine bay. £45 IIRC. But then as above go to Halfords they sell the type of pipe you need, im told.

Didn't realise it was just a length of rubber hose I needed until I pulled it out. Even so, it took me ages to find somewhere that did the correct diameter. Tried a local motor factor, then Halfords, then the nearest VW dealership, who then sent me to a motor factor near them. Like Critical Mass said, the dealership was asking for £40 plus VAT, apparently it had been discontinued since 1997, but was on backorder. Got it for a fiver at the factor.

Put everything back together, and it seems to be back to normal. I've not driven it far yet though, will be carrying an extinguisher until I'm sure it's settled!

Thanks for the help guys.