Swompy

Undearseal removal and reapplication

Before I sent my car for its new engine I striped out the interior and saw a couple of bit of rust in the floor where some pipes go from inside the car to the outside.

I can easily tackle it from the inside but what about the outside?

I was thinking of stripping off all the underseal tackling any rust I find then coating the underneath with some rust prevention paint then maybe some durable paint like hammerite or something els. Then a good coating of underseal.

Whats the best way to remove the underseal with out causing too much damage to the under side?

And whats a good underseal to use and would coating the under side with something like Hammerite be a good idea as well?

Thanks you.

don't use hammerite, there are a number of threads including Yans build thread iirc etc for effective rust treatment

I think a heat gun and a scraper is the normal way of removing underseal - bit backbreaking though.

I wouldn't bother putting a paint on top of the underseal (rubbery foamy stuff) as it won't do anything. I know that Grey Stripe is a good off the shelf underseal, but I think the purists would probably go for Shulz or something like that for a more OEM finish.

approaches vary, having done quite a lot over the last year this is mine;

drill and rotary wire for underseal removal, use a copper wire instead of steel as its less harsh.

take the rust back to bear metal and then i've been using vactan to treat, look it up, gets good reviews.

then do a primer coat, then apply the rubberised coating that sets - 3M do one or as above.

if you so wish you can then paint, most the rubbery stuff is grey. if you want to do belt and braces you can then apply a waxoyl or rubberised shulz that remains gooey.

one thing you need to test is product interface of new/ new or new/ old, some can react with each other.

this is something ill be doing soon, im not going crazy with it though, just around the sills where previous owners have destroyed it with badly placed jacks :( also could do with straightening them out ARGHHH!!