Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Best place to get Door Handles

Came out the pub the other night, went to open the car door and got my first broken handle (a common thing to go wrong i have heard - and i take it you cannot fix them?)

Does anyone know the best (cheapest) place to get a replacement - have already got prices from europarts and GSF, VW and GPC all are above 50 quid - I could get one from a local scrapy but I have it a second hand one will have more change of breaking again - or if not it may be better to get an 'original one' as i'm not sure the parts from GSF etc are the same as dealers????

Also Euro parts say there are differents ones for later cars 92 onwards (i Hhave a 92 G60 so they need the chassis number to find out which one) - the prices are not far apart but what i want to is..... if my car came with the early ones, are the later ones the same except just stronger (ie VW realised by 92 the originals weren't strong enough) and if so, will they fit as I have seen later cars and the handles look identical.

The final question - have heard of people fitting rear passat handles with no locks (i have remote alarm) - can anyone tell me what year cars these are off and part numbers and do they fit straight on, any better, stronger?? - just want to look into this before buying a completly new handle but need to do it soon!!

Any help with this is much appreciated! :wink:

Its easy to tell if your car has old or new style handles.

The new ones have a lip round the lock cylinder.

On the old ones the cylinder is practically flush.

Unfortunately they all break as easy as each other but im lead to believe a lot of this is down to adjustment of the door hinge as well. If the handle feels very stiff as the door is been pulled into the car too tight they break easy. If the door is a bit further out then the handle will be much free'er and will less likely break. Can look like the door aint shut right though.

Thanks guys for your quick respoonse with this!! - i'm going to have a look at some Passat handles tommorow - seems the best way to go as i have the remote locking already!