G60  CS

oil light problem

My cars not long back from a rebuild, its had 600 trouble ish free miles since having a 1.9 conversion. 2 weeks ago my solid tensioner worked loose and as a result battery went flat sending a bad signal to the ECU which opened the injectors permanently and flooded the car. I'd called the RAC out when it wouldn't start, they tried to start it but couldn't, when they were trying to start the car the there was a bang and oil started coming out underneath. The oil filter had come off, the bang was it hitting the front cross member. I presumed it had vibrated off somehow. I happened to have a new filter in the boot so they RAC guy screwed it on . He said I shouldn't try and start it until the excess fuel had evaporated off. I left it until it had and the car started fine, I noticed that there was oil dripping from filter housing and the oil pressure light was now flashing on the dashboard. The RAC took the car away today to their garage and have re fitted/sealed the oil filter but the lights still flashing so they don't want to run the engine up, am feeling pretty nervous now any ideas what could have gone wrong ? There's a possibility the car had the wrong filter on before (a mk2 golf 1.8 8v) as my car has a sandwich plate for a Mocal oil cooler and the previous filter had a domed top without the nut

modern filters have those nuts on the top... depends on the manufacturer of the filter tbh.

Sounds bad though... might be there is no oil in the car though as the filter fell off. Did the RAC top it up for you??

Sad days dude.... :(

Just heard from the garage, took filter off and was dry, fitted a new filter, same and oil pressure light still on, suspect oil pump failure

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

modern filters have those nuts on the top... depends on the manufacturer of the filter tbh.

Sounds bad though... might be there is no oil in the car though as the filter fell off. Did the RAC top it up for you??

Sad days dude.... :(

weird thing was I dipped it yesterday and oil was there and level was OK, started car for 10/20 sec and oil was dripping from between the housing and the filter

Just heard from the garage, took filter off and was dry, fitted a new filter, same and oil pressure light still on, suspect oil pump failure

sounds reasonable... they're about £50 so not expensive

weird thing was I dipped it yesterday and oil was there and level was OK, started car for 10/20 sec and oil was dripping from between the housing and the filter

that could have been the engine just pushing the oil with it's moving parts... I'd still take a look at the oil pump

sounds reasonable... they're about £50 so not expensive

125 plus vat for genuine and they reckon 4/5 hours labour @40ph +vat !!