iamsilverfox

new kid from redditch, midlands.

alright guys. my names steven and i'm an apprentice volkswagen technician from redditch which is just south of birmingham. i've settled on a 1.8 g60 as the 'raddo i want after hearing alot about the 16v being a bit naff (rattling chains, valves no low down power etc) so is there anything to look out for when buying a g60?

thanks alot! :thumbleft:

Nice to hear that there will at least be one young VW technician who will know how to diagnose faults with their car, without the aid of a diagnostic computer! ;)

We have a very helpful buyers guide which pretty much covers all you need to know, including G60 diagnostics:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

Think you've been given a pretty unfair appraisal of the 16v engine - a well sorted one is a great laugh!

Oooo treading on very thin ice criticizing the 16 vale, I'm sure you will be told about the shortcomings of the G60 any moment now! lol!!

Now on to Redditch.......what is it for?.......I went there once, I was hungry and looking for a KFC. I drove around and around, the place is a big roundabout with lots of dead ends! And roads named Zone A or area D and such like! I couldn't find my way out so I asked a guy at the side of the road. "How far to the motorway?" I enquired......."Don't know no one ever came back to say!" Was his reply!........

Anyway welcome to the world of Corrado :cool:

Edited by Toohottotrot

Hi mate, i used to know a technician from Birmingham who now works in vw at redditch i beleive, he used to work on my G60 and knew alot about them his name is Carl, if you know him tell him Mike says Hi! remind him he used to service my G60!

Nice to hear that there will at least be one young VW technician who will know how to diagnose faults with their car, without the aid of a diagnostic computer! ;)

We have a very helpful buyers guide which pretty much covers all you need to know, including G60 diagnostics:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

Think you've been given a pretty unfair appraisal of the 16v engine - a well sorted one is a great laugh!

i understand what you mean! thankfully im surrounded by my mates with various old stuff so it's nice to jump between diagnosing brand new passat cc's and why my mates mk2 jetta wont fire etc. and thanks for the guide, looks pretty comprehensive :)

Oooo treading on very thin ice criticizing the 16 vale, I'm sure you will be told about the shortcomings of the G60 any moment now! lol!!

Now on to Redditch.......what is it for?.......I went there once, I was hungry and looking for a KFC. I drove around and around, the place is a big roundabout with lots of dead ends! And roads named Zone A or area D and such like! I couldn't find my way out so I asked a guy at the side of the road. "How far to the motorway?" I enquired......."Don't know no one ever came back to say!" Was his reply!........

Anyway welcome to the world of Corrado :cool:

kfc has to be one of the highlights in the town. it's not a particularly inspiring place unfortunately.

Hi mate, i used to know a technician from Birmingham who now works in vw at redditch i beleive, he used to work on my G60 and knew alot about them his name is Carl, if you know him tell him Mike says Hi! remind him he used to service my G60!

would that be a mr karl rogers?

thanks guys!

i would hope too, but i need to sell my current car first. also i'm torn between a 1.8 16v or a g60. there's a new nice 1.8's around, but do you think it's worth holding out for a g60? here's a few pics of my soon to be ex car.

jEsHk1nmOBWL3.jpg

j5DVZaNKBAey2.jpg

jCsrALisMQM7U.jpg

jn4W0onumG5qB.jpg

jSGrvYnRLTvwc.jpg

The guys on here will tell you the good n bad abt any of the C's engines. I personally was looking for a VR! N after havin one finally after all the years of looking n dreaming, it's great! A beautiful note from the engine. Very addictive!

306 looks nice n clean. Sorry!

But its gottto go.

2 problems! It's a pug. N it's red too!

Lol

i would hope too, but i need to sell my current car first. also i'm torn between a 1.8 16v or a g60. there's a new nice 1.8's around, but do you think it's worth holding out for a g60? here's a few pics of my soon to be ex car.

The G60 is getting increasingly rare, and it's hard to find a good unmolested one. And there are added complications (and costs) from the supercharger. I'd personally suggest you aim for a 16V (either 1.8 or 2.0) as they're a good entry into Corrado ownership - and then maybe look to swap up after you've had a bit of time and got familiar with them?

And don't worry about coming to the meet in a Peugeot 306 (which I think looks pretty nice anyway!) - anyone who's into the Corrado is welcome to come along. You're a future owner and hopefully seeing lots of them together might inspire you to knuckle down and get one found ASAP ;)

Edited by Jim

1.8 valver as I figured it would he a good place to get into corrado ownership. Black with 120k on it. Picking it up this evening. Got various ideas for it so no doubt I'll start a project thread. Thanks for the help guys.

right, picked it up this evening and i'm very pleased. couple of things i've noticed that i've not had chance to look into yet but they seem prety common. stuff like, the sunroof only tilts? and the spoiler seems sticky. but the most pressing thing is that it wont idle right. if the revs drop too low it'll start to die, have no throttle response and start pinking and backfiring. any suggestions before i start looking at it tomorrow? i'm assuming something like an vacuum leak perhaps?

Congratulations and welcome to C ownership :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see I'm not the only one browsing from bed when I should be sleeping, haha!

Congrats on the purchase OP, I look forward to seeing it!

Sent from my HTC Desire

Another Redditch lad and I thought I had the only Corrado I the town lol. You need to get Ben to sell his Fiesta and buy a VW especially when he works at VW parts

No bud. Does that mean there is another of us. Never see them on the road. Then again mine does not make it on to the road very often either

Ha. I don't see other around. Just tucked mine up for the winter. There is a lad who works at VW also who has one too and I have seen another drifting round.

Edited by Human Joist