elliott

ABS yet another question...

MOT time is here and i still cant get the dam ABS to play ball.

Vag-com says my front right wheel sensor is faulty but it's a new one that's on and when i clear the codes the light still stays on?

Would i be right to think the light should go off and not come back on again untill i'm moving and apply the brakes?

I've cleaned the abs ecu connections and checked the relays after getting an outlet valve fault however this wheel sensor is being a pain in the tits!!!

I'm going to get a new sensor just to see if the new one is iffy but is there a way to test it? How many ohms should i be getting from a good or bad one???

Thanks again....

No the light should come on when you start the car then go off after a few seconds. It shouldnt come back unless there's a fault.

Is the sensor sat close enough to the rotor as i think distance between the rotor on the back of the disc and the sensor can cause it to throw a fault.

Thanks, I'll check again but it all looks fine at the wheel. The light flickers when turning the ignition on but the error is still there constantly. On another note I unplugged the sensor on the other side to see if it would give me another error but it never did? I'm thinking the ecu might have reached the end of it's life.

You can force the light off by holding the brake pedal in as you start up - light comes on, then a second or so later you should hear a sproing noise from the ABS pump and a 'bump' in the pedal as the light goes off. On mine it turned the light off even though there was still a dodgy sensor attached - it's not until it gets inconsistent readings fro the sensor as you're driving around that it'll come back on again so it'll stay off for a couple of minutes. When my sensor was replaced the light stayed on, it wasn't until I did this that it went off for good. Worth a try! :)

If not it's Vagcom time to find out what it's whinging about.

Stone

If youre shure you changed the right wheel sensor then start by checking the wiring from the sensor plug to the abs pump ecu. If wiring is ok then you will have to check the rotor in the wheel bearing housing. Maybe is bent. If all this comes out ok the its a faulty sensor or abs ecu.

If you want to give me your car details I can look what wires to check

Working back shift all week so only got round to looking at it today. After checking every plug, wire, relay and the ecu I just went and bought a new sensor and BINGO! The light is now out :dance:

Now before anything else brakes it's time to gently wheel it into the MOT station I think...

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.