Dakes4

Corrado 1.8 16v kr not reving up

Hi all new to this but in need of help I have a 1990 kr engine 1.8 16v corrado and have the problem of it not reving up it happend the other week starts up fine and ticks over ok but when I press the pedal it just ticks over more lumpy but no faster I left it a week and tried it again but still the same and all of a sudden it stated to pick up a cleared back to normal then fine for a few day and done it again

Any ideas any one

Thanks

Craig

okay, oh it could be your flap in the metering head might not opening. It could be worth having a look. Also give it a clean with some carb cleaner. It sounds like that sort of symtom, as you say its idling fine. Other than that, have you checked the pump in the tank works?

I would say metering flap then go from there

When you say the flap do you mean the flap in the air box i think it is something like that as like I say it's more lumpy when I press the pedal like it's not getting any extra air or fuel someone has suggested the air mass flow sensor where is this and what's it look like will also look into what you have suggested

Thanks

Craig

Your metering flap is in the metering head, which is above the airbox, so if you take all of the clips of the airbox that hold the metering head to the airbox. remove the filter so have a little more room if i am right the flap will be above where you filter sits and you can maulally open it from there. So you could try opening it once its running.

Check for splits on the intake boot... I had a problem on the Golf where I hadn't quite put the boot on correctly. It idled fine, but as soon as I revved the engine, the low pressure in the intake opened a gap between the intake boot and metering head. This meant the air for the engine was drawn through the gap and not over the air flow meter flap in the metering head like it should have been, so fuelling was not increased, thus the engine would not increase revs!

What's the fuel like? This sounds very similar to when I think I got a bit of water in the fuel system on my 2.0 16v some years ago. It would idle, roughly, but if you tried to rev it up it simply didn't want to know and would do exactly the same - go really lumpy and try and cut out.

How old is the fuel in the tank?

I will defo look into the metering flow as for the fuel it was used daily filled up once a week I did a have a prob few years ago with dirty fuel so had the tank cleaned all filters metering head injectors but who knows could be again think I best start at the tank and work my way to injectors