vrmassen

Ignition issues

Ive just changed the engine in my G60 as I lost compression in a couple of cylinders, but ive now got a new engine in but im getting confused over setting the ignition timing up. ive borrowed a mates bently manual and set the dizzy to top dead cente, with the little mark facing cyclinder 4 and the rota arm inline with this. but it still wont start, the plugs are getting wet so its getting fuel. would this way of setting it up makes it too advanced. i also noticed the ISV on the inlet just makes a clicking noise where im pretty sure it hummed before. hope this makes sure to someone.

If someone could help me as i really want it back on the road lol

cheers james

Edited by vrmassen

Is there not something about setting the timing at higher revs and not at idle with these cars? I'm learning here so could be talking mince, i just remember a guy at work having trouble getting his goof set up.

yeah its facing cylinder 4, which would be cylinder one on the cap, not cylinder four on the cap

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

it maybe be better to do once running, but its the getting it to run im struggling with lol

its not the belt timing thats out ive check this a couple of times after reading the manual alot just to make sure. does the timing need to be advanced or what? also would the knock sensor cause the engine not to start or the ISV? im just throwing some ideas out there

There are many many things that would make it not start.. Start with the simple stuff... With engine at tdc is the distributor rotor arm pointing to cylinder number one lead (on the cap). While cranking the engine do you have spark? Fuel?

yeah tested each spark plug against the head and getting a good spark on all cylinders and its getting fuel as when i remove the spark plugs they have fuel on them

dizzy timing is out,needs to be set dynamicaly.

Dosent matter where the rotor arm is pointed,if the intermediate shaft is out but its not a problem.

undo the bolt that holds the dizzy in place enough so you can just about move it slowly,and move dizzy SLOWLY til you find the sweet spot.You may find your 180 degrees out!

also have you checked leads are correct way around?

Then the ignition is not ok.

With piston one at tdc the distributor has to be sparking for cylinder one... Its getting a bit confusing with you saying its pointig at number 4... The distributor housing doesnt matter where its pointing at... What does matter is the rotor arm is pointing to the right plug on the cover. If you look inside the distributor cover you will see 5 small studs. One in the middle and 4 around. The rotor arm has to be pointing right in the middle of the stud that goes to number one cylinder.

Hope that helps, if your getting spark, fuel and air thats all you need to start... If it doesnt start it has to be timming... Crank, camshaft and ignition have to be in the correct timming....

dizzy timing is out,needs to be set dynamicaly.

Dosent matter where the rotor arm is pointed,if the intermediate shaft is out but its not a problem.

undo the bolt that holds the dizzy in place enough so you can just about move it slowly,and move dizzy SLOWLY til you find the sweet spot.You may find your 180 degrees out!

also have you checked leads are correct way around?

this is what i thought i needed to do. i have the lead going clock wise around the cap 1 3 4 2, 1 being where the rota arm points at tdc. im not sure i completely understand the 180 degrees out thing as this is all a steep learning curve.

cant remember if g60 is clockwise or anti-clock wise.Take cap off and see which way it spins

the intermediate shaft is connected to the timing belt which spins the oil pump and the dizzy.it is a bit of a pain to keep in timing when putting timing belt on.It doesnt matter much because the dizzy still needs to be moved to put the timing of the spark correct.it can be upto 180 degrees out if shaft moved when belt was put on

dannyboy you was right its was 180 degrees out. cheers. the only trouble is ive got a tappy head

Edited by vrmassen