mmacneill123

Very embarassing - where is the fusebox...? Randomly malfunctioning indicators!!

This really is an embarassing one as my genuine VW handbook seems to suggest a removable, unclippable shelf - it does not mention having to unscrew anything to get at the fusebox....can anyone post a pic or tell me how to get at it?

I have a problem that the indicators seem to randomly stop working so was going to change the relay but am exceedingly embarassed that i cannot get at the fusebox... Any advice on this prob would be appreciated too :-)

Drivers side, below and to the right of the steering wheel at the door end of the dash). There should be a plastic cover that must be removed but it's deffo not screwed in.

Under the right hand side of the dash you should see a shelf that unclips and folds down. Yours must be rare and not rattle as i'm constantly moving it about, trying to get it to sit tight :lol:

random indictator problems are usually the brushed tracks on the indictator arm on the steering collum.Clean them with electrical cleaner and they'll work again

Does your hazards work correctly?

You will also have fun putting the fuse box back in later. Best do it in good lighting so you can guide the fuse box cover arms back into the dedicated holes in the back without damaging the fuses and relays.

Mine is also on 3x screws. 2 of them screw into the dash, and the 3rd one goes to the shelf on the left side. It was also rather difficult to put it back safely into place, especially the "right" arm to fit into that special hole.

I found that removing the footwell trim by the bonnet release, and also slightly loosening (but no need to remove) the drivers left hand under-dash tray helped with removal and re-fitting of the fusebox.

random indictator problems are usually the brushed tracks on the indictator arm on the steering collum.Clean them with electrical cleaner and they'll work again

Does your hazards work correctly?

Thanks guys, owing to my long experience with Sciroccos (am i allowed to mention that word here?? we used to mention Corrados a lot - this is my first year without a Rocco for 13 yrs and my second stint with a Rado so happy to straddle the fence!!) i had cleaned brushes, pulled contacts out and all those wonderful jobs....

The original problem with the shelf was that it was actually custom screwed in very badly by the previous owner probably because the lugs at the front of the shelf were gone...that was why i could not get the shelf off though i could hear all the relays clicking away....

The hazards did not work either when they stop working, so my suspicion is it is either the relay or dodgy connections to the fusebox, i am hoping for the former as it seems to be behaving after a good dose of cleaner and wet and dry on the relay legs and in the holes in the fusebox :-)

Thankfully i was not as big a div as i thought!!!

Edited by mmacneill123

had 2 mk2 sciroccos my all time favorite VW

i think i have a fusebox cover & cips (black) early

Edited by eddy.h

That is good to hear :-) Mine is an L so not sure that will be any good, i am sure i can experiment :-) Am over in NWales quite a lot so could take a diversion or meet you at a services?